Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Allow to delete a sub-assembly when part is selected in a sub assembly.

jonathan_monettejonathan_monette Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
When I manually select a sub-assembly in a bigger assembly I have to look for it in the left tree, then remove the selection of the sub part, then select the assembly and then delete it.

I would like to make it possible when you select an part in an assembly, when you delete it all the assembly is then deleted.

Thank you!
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @jonathan_monette this is not a workflow that is typical.  What you are asking for, it seems, it a way to pick something in the graphcis area and then select up a level.  This might be possible to add however picking a part and hitting delete we really do not know what the scope of the want is there.  It would probably be better to have a selection filter to pick up a level like select then hit the up arrow or something to move the selection up a level.  Today the best approach is to pick it and we highlight the top level indicating the selection is below.  You can then hit Spacebar and pick the sub from the tree and hit delete.  That give an explicit scope to your action.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    guy_rogelguy_rogel Member, User Group Leader Posts: 84 PRO
    I find I need that option as well very much. I have a huge PCB (more then 500 parts and subassemblies) , I am trying to pick up all the small components and delete it. it is not possible so frustrating

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    In SW you get a prompt that asks you if you want to delete the sub part or the whole assembly. Which is very nice.

BUT, Since you cannot delete a part within a sub assembly in Onshape. Then the delete function should always work as "delete assembly".