Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Who fancy a challenge?

michał_1michał_1 Member, Developers Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
Recreate this in Onshape, prove that Onshape is better than Solidworks or Fusion.

And here is an dwg: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4b5c7480fa796f96d9c9f542/w/47d8242ba97f69df693a4558/e/7f1d1fefce208d9facb937f4

Comments

• michał_1michał_1 Member, Developers Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    Nice job. I must admit you git me surprised.
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @NeilCooke - you are such a cheat!!!!!! :)
    Lets see who has it ready to go when we push ;)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • michael_bromleymichael_bromley Member Posts: 110 PRO
    Sounds like we have some nifty new features coming down the pipe  :#
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited August 2019
    Ok, my bravado aside, this is really hard (even with some new functionality ;)
    I have a feeling it won't be me solving this!
    This is why we have servo driven mechanisms and not cams! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    Ok, so I have my way, link to model is the same as for dwg in posts above.

There is no single FS just Sheet Metal for "wrap". But That wasn't the point of the challenge.
    I was working on this model for F360 forum (https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-design-validate/solid-model-from-wrapped-geometry/td-p/8969749) and this was a nice case to show how SM can help to bend if you know what K factor means actually. 
    I was hoping that sweep will do the slot... but even with rails and guide surfaces, it was not enough. Eventually, I've ended with loft approximating the right shape (which wasn't right at all, and I knew that just after posting on F360 forum and before posting here).
    This approximation with loft is something I do quite often when I have complex "rule" driven surface.
    I was sure that this model is such case and I was wondering what Onshape can offer (some FS)?
    It turns out that I was too hooked on a sweep and didn't investigate enough the geometry itself.
    When @konstantin_shiriazdanov posted his response, I immediately went to model and edited Cylinder sweep custom feature, and saw this:

I swear I could hear a CLICK in my head and a voice: thicken and fillet you DUMBASS.

So ok, this model couldn't challenge anyone... but still I do sometimes lacking more control over sweep/loft in certain cases.
    When I find one I will try to poke the sleeping bear again.

• konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I should say that Cylinder sweep is a bit smarter than just filleting the ends of the thickened surface,  if it was so the thing like this would be pretty hard to model. Instead it subtracts cylinders along sharp linear edges,

I was rather referring to the nature of that specific geometry, not to your FS.
    I don't doubt it's well thought out, you've proved yourself many times here Konstantin.
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, anyway hope to see here in OS a natural Solid body sweep sooner or later
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi.
    The geometry challenge is interesting, but what does the actual part do?
    Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Who knows, some sort of locking? Don't ask me, I'm not an engineer.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    michał_1 said:
    Who knows, some sort of locking? Don't ask me, I'm not an engineer.
    Ah, sorry, I presumed that was your desk in the photo!  I was hoping it was a bit of a tank that we could follow along with and build one bit each month...
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    True, whatever is the purpose of that part, it can take the load.
    A nice tool, very handy. The model is also nice, except it is not 67deg. I blame the drawing for that. That "developed" view looks like hand-drawn, not derived from a part.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Huh, you're right - didn't even think of checking. Fixing the angle caused the Thicken to crease so I had to do a little remedial surfacing work on the highlighted face. At least the fillets look good now.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    I don't think it's still right, the issue is that flat drawing of a slot has a distance of 2.5in, between straight sections (between centre lines to be specific). If the angle is 67 deg with an arc length of 2.5 in, then this must be developed from a cylinder of a diameter = ((360*2.5)/(67*PI)) ≈ 4.276 in
    That's why I think that whole view is "faked" because it doesn't refer to any finite value for radius/diameter (of course maybe this value is close to some common imperial units value? Don't know that system at all).
    It does now measure 67˚ - I had to use a calculator, but the offset between centerlines is now 2.667627 inches (wrapped around a 4 9/16 inch cylinder). Inches are horrible!
    In the drawing, distance is 1.249 (scale 1:2), but if you redraw it you'll have exact 2.5 (scale 1:1). If you go with different radius it will distort "fillets" and the angle of a slope.
    Correct, keeping the radii on the slot and making it wrap 67˚ (outside radius is detailed on Partial Section B-B) will distort the angle of the slot which I'm guessing is the least important dimension. Anyway, I think we can agree it's a bad drawing.
  • ChuckKeyChuckKey Member Posts: 43 ✭✭✭

shows my own little experiment using this method of wrapping, lofting a radial surface, and thickening it. A bit clumsy, but it does the job.

A couple of points:

I am not sure how I would have found your cylinder sweep feature script, even if It had occured to me to look. Is the average idiot in a hurry missing out on what is available?

I tried to wrap a line and a composite curve, for the centreline of the slot, but it seems only a sketch surface can be wrapped, so a bogus sketch surface is required.

There seems to be some slight imperfection in the calculations as I was left with a couple of little artefacts that had to be deleted. Sure, I could have got round that, but I thought them better left for inspection.

@NeilCooke - this tidies up a discussion about face-cams we had in December 2015!