Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How many Part Studios would too many per document?

Mazie_HouchensMazie_Houchens Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
Hello! I do a lot of 2D documentation and each drawing has its own part studio. I just don't know if at a certain number of Studios the document stops running as fast/smoothly.

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    It will eventually start to slow down the more tabs you have to reference.

It is recommended to split your document into smaller bite size documents and point your drawings to a version of the part or document.
    Although I have found problems with versioned parts and drawings not reading part properties. I'm not sure if they have fixed this by now though.

There is no official tab count, it will be based off your gut and use case. I've heard anywhere between 15-30 tabs you should consider breaking it up.
    But personally I just keep everything in one document, as most of my projects have been between 25 and 50 tabs, around 50 I can see these random lag spikes where the document decides it wants to freeze up and give a loading circle for 15-20 seconds about 6 times in a row, then it works fast again for 10 minutes or so.. It's enough to make me want to break my monitor sometimes. But it's too little too late for that project, so I just have to sleep in the bed I made.
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @Mazie_Houchens - Great question!

We are on the verge of publishing a series of White papers addressing this very issue.
    John is right as is probably anyone else that offers their opinions. That said, i can describe a nutshell scenario that should help inform your thinking.

TL;DR - what is in a Document will change over time.

When you start a new project, you will have a blank document.
    When you finish a project, you will likely have a single assembly and assembly drawing.
    Between point A and point B, new part studios will be created (1 part per part studio unless they are geometrically related) - potentially also with their drawing.
    When a part reaches the point that it will be revision managed (potentially also to be shared with a supplier), then that is the time to move it to its own document. Once moved, release it (and possibly its drawing) in that new document.
    Same thing goes for sub-assemblies - once they're ready to be released, move them to their own documents (nuance - part studios need to be moved out before assemblies unless you want them to be evicted along with their parents).

A document will start with two (blank) elements and end with 2 elements

This is a very brief description, but hopefully paints a workable picture for you.
    More elements (tabs) = potentially longer open times and potentially longer regen times.

Black Belt Smart Move: If you want a released part (referenced by revision) to return to  'automatic update ideation mode', simply move the part studio back into the parent doc and reference the workspace instead of the released revision. When you are ready to revision the part again, move it back out.
    A document is an ARBITRARY collection of elements!

Have fun! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • BulletEngineeringBulletEngineering Member Posts: 24 PRO
    @philip_thomas That makes sense. 

Our team has been moving any part studio which is referenced by more than one document to it's own document, along with all relevant drawings. It really does make it easier to keep track of things.
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @BulletEngineering - You are exactly correct! :) ^^^^
    Philip Thomas - Onshape