Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

I can't find why I can't make my model solid

Hi, I'm new on onshape and surface modeling. I'm trying to modeling a guitar neck on onshape and i can't enclose my model. I can't see any gap between the surfaces and the model seems closed to me. can anybody help me?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/fedd67136c677b9ceb94680f/w/ca669231a0495c1cf1a2734e/e/9696881c7793856d838c746c

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Did you work it out? Neck looks solid now. Any particular reason why you did this using surfaces?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • rodrigo_alonsorodrigo_alonso Member Posts: 3
    Hi Neil, thank you for you answer. Yes, I got anxious and tried to go a new way!! I could use the enclose only in the  front of the neck (the part that is solid now), the other part of the neck have some problem and the enclose command dont work. So I separated into two parts to try to locate where the problem is.

I'm trying to model using surface because of the joint of the neck with the heel and with the head stock, it was to difficult with solid modeling (using alibre design software).
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    @rodrigo_alonso

Here is your guitar neck done all with solid modeling. You might find this method more efficient when using Onshape. Compare the number of steps in the below linked document to when working primarily with surfaces.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ffc38807aab9ab65c60b9494/w/e25610ff18b26787b938ff16/e/439701a8147210f2452d7a06
  • rodrigo_alonsorodrigo_alonso Member Posts: 3
    Steve, Thank you very much for the class! the way you modeled it was much more efficient!! and changed the way I was seeing that joint. Not to mention that the model was much cleaner than mine. from now on I will do it that way