Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Mate & Pattern Geekery

Malcolm_DanielMalcolm_Daniel Member Posts: 57 PRO
edited September 2019 in General
This is just a geek out moment.

I imported a 3 finger pneumatic chuck and wanted to make it actuate properly.  I started with adding 3 slider mates + 2 linear relations...cool...it works.

For giggles, I wondered what would happen if I patterned the first finger.  Holy smokes...it worked as hoped!  Could be biased perception, but it actually seems to work more smoothly (less calculation?). 

In any case, it saves assembling 2 more parts + adding 4 more mates.  Will be interesting to see if these 2 methods have ripple effects at higher level assemblies (i.e. adding the fingers to the moving jaws).

Gotta love it when stuff just works.  Way to go OS team.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/60ae9cf99b6ed982260fee2b/w/0c4a04d70d08be7baf72bf06/e/d7d22347d31e8ee8f53c201b

Comments

• alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    I had a similar awesome experience where I used a circular pattern to add an additional bevel gear to a set and it meshed and rotated properly without any fiddling!
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Worth having a look at the "replicate" function in the assembly here. (Assemble and mate one instance, then the others are created for you.)
    O.S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Malcolm_DanielMalcolm_Daniel Member Posts: 57 PRO
    @owen_sparks ... thanks.  I was aware of the functionality but haven't really needed to use it just yet.  I forgot OS doesn't have the traditional reference pattern.  Replicate is a bit of a catch 22, as you don't need an underlying pattern feature (cool)...but when you do have an underlying pattern feature, it doesn't parametrically adapt the items referencing the underlying pattern (not great).  I'm guessing it's then more effort at the assembly level as instance counts vary (design changes, configurations, etc.).  I think I stumbled across and voted for an improvement request for reference patterns the other day.