Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Path with Loft and two cross sections

kai_h_borbekai_h_borbe Member Posts: 14 EDU
Hey Forum,
i need your help again. I like to design a level with two different cross sections. The problem are the planes for the guidlines. The plane "path" is align with line angle, so i can catch only three points of four, but i need four, to use the loft tool with guides. The lines have to point the edgepoints of the cross sections.
If i get in the sketch mode of sketch "Opening two", the plane and sketch of "level" disappears. If i move the sketch "opening two sketch" to the end, the align of the plane "path" changes.
How can i use the "use" tool to get all four points to one sketch ?

This is a screenshot:
Blue: Align of the plane "path"; Red: the Point i need to move.

Best regards
Kai

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Forgive me as I haven't looked at your file but it doesn't look from the screen grab like all four points can exist on a flat plane?
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • kai_h_borbekai_h_borbe Member Posts: 14 EDU
    Yes, you are right :), im looking for a way to move the fourthpoint to the plane.
    If i edit the sektch, the plane disapears.
    If i move the sketch to the end, the align of the plane changes..

• kai_h_borbekai_h_borbe Member Posts: 14 EDU
    edited September 2019
    I got a solution. i simply use two planes, one for the upper node and one for the lower node. I think its not a very good solution, i got many planes in my sketch.
    Is there a limit, how many sketches are possible ?
    Sorry, sometime i dont see the forest for the trees.

:)
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited September 2019
    One plane for each guide is fine. 
    You can have as many planes and sketches as you like.

Your "disappearing" problem is the basis of parametric CAD.

The feature tree is just a list of instructions, run in order, from top to bottom.  As such a feature can't see any features below it in the tree. 

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd