Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

moving a transformed object into a more specific part

carlos_r052carlos_r052 Member Posts: 2 EDU
Hello,

I am looking to move an object that is already transformed by mate connectors into a more specific location. 
I was thinking to either move the already transformed object or actually just select a mate connector with that a specific location.
How can i achieve this?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    @carlos_r052

The first two GIFs show how to move the L metal part using Mate connectors.

The last GIF shows how to change the plane for the sketch of the L metal part, and then how to move that sketch within that newly selected plane

The method shown in the last GIF can get a little involved. If you’re going to use this method, it’s probably best to start out with a fully constrained sketch and then only remove what constraints are necessary for you to move the sketch to the location you want on that newly selected plane. To do this, it may involve removing some dimensions, any fix constraints, or any projected constraints.

• Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    @carlos_r052

Regarding the method below, in the picture notice that the Transform type is set to Translate by line, and that this requires two vertices (points) or an edge.

Also notice in the GIF that even though the SKETCH is FULLY CONSTRAINED and tied to the origin, I was STILL ABLE TO MOVE THE PART by using Transform.