Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

When will you update to the latest GD&T ASME Y14.5 standard?

Roy_CrossRoy_Cross Member Posts: 8
Your GD&T is out of date. The circle S symbol used to indicate that a datum feature reference applies at regardless of feature size (RFS) was discontinued in 1994. It was used in the 1982 standard. Since 1994 datum feature references defaulted to RFS per Rule #2. There was a 2009 revision and the latest version is 2018. Do you have plans to update your GD&T to at least the 2009 version?

Answers

• PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    @Roy_Cross Not every company moves to the newest GDT definition.  So they might be defining GDT on their drawings according to "older" rules.  Is there something that you need in the GDT tool that we don't do, or is this more that you think we should not be offering the regardless of feature size indication at all?  
  • Roy_CrossRoy_Cross Member Posts: 8
    Hi Pete, I agree that not everyone company is using the latest and greatest version (Y14.5-2018), however, the circle S symbol is per the 1982 version (a very old version). This symbol was discontinued in 1994. Therefore, Onshape should be updated to at least the 2009 version which is 10 years old. Since 1994 and later, all Y14.5 versions have defaulted to RFS per Rule #2. This means no symbol is required to indicate RFS. A symbol is only required to indicate MMC or LMC. Ideally, Onshape should have a button to click on to choose which version of Y14.5 the user prefers to use. Also, the user should be able to select between ASME Y14.5 and ISO 1101 for GD&T and dimensioning symbols because there are differences between these as well. Thank you.
    edited September 2019
    @Roy_Cross Currently with the GDT dialog users can make annotations on the drawing according to their preferences without needing a switch.  So if you are strictly abiding by newer ASME Y14.5 standards and don't want to use regardless of feature size indications, then you certainly can get what you need/want.  I think what you are requesting is a blocker to to that capability based on that and some ways for companies to control that.  Certainly you could make an improvement request for that on the right over here -->
    Hi Pete, I thought Onshape didn't let me complete the feature control frame without selecting the "S" symbol, but I went back to my drawing gave it a seond try and I was able to complete the feature control frame without the "S" symbol. Therefore, I'm happy. Thanks for your quick reply.
    A related question; Do you have plans to add other GD&T modifying symbols such as continuous feature, translation, projected tolerance zone, free state, tangent plane, Unequally disposed, independency, statistical tolerance, between, all-around, all-over, etc.?
    @Roy_Cross Yes, we do have plans to improve and add these modifying symbols, and more.  Currently we are focused on applying the GDT frames and more intelligently grouping them in various scenarios to dimensions and geometry.   But, we certainly have more to add to specification capabilities here in drawings.