Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Adding non-geometry items to BOM's

Doug_JonesDoug_Jones Member Posts: 28 ✭✭✭
Just read through the "adding items to your designs" technical briefing.  Interested in adding non-geometry items to BOM's.  The new functionality works well for standard consumables like adhesives, lube, etc.  But looking for a way to handle product-specific documents like user manuals and packaging specs that a) have a file associated and b) would not be practical for a single admin to set up.  Does anyone have a workaround established for something like this?

Comments

• Options
    Konstantin_ShKonstantin_Sh Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    seems like items are not to be meant to cover such needs, not flexible enough. I'd use hidden dummy solid parts with properties you need
  • Options
    mlaflecheCADmlaflecheCAD Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 179
    edited September 2019
    @Doug_Jones From the BOM, you can associate a field like the description of the item to be a URL to link to the location of the document.  For example if I have a part from McMaster Carr and I want to associate a spec sheet, I can add the link to the PDF.  Or if it is a doc in Onshape a similar method can be taken.  Of course this still requires admin access to add items at the company level for users to access.

Finally, the dummy part does not have to be a solid, it can be a surface model as well.

Thanks for this topic, I have been interested in when folks would start asking about this.  Please create a ticket with a request for more capabilities on this.  I will do the same. :-)

Regards,
    Mike LaFleche   @mlaflecheCAD
  • Options
    Doug_JonesDoug_Jones Member Posts: 28 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Thanks for the feedback, @mlaflecheCAD .  I spoke with @Tim_Fries about this a couple months back and he provided similar advice.  I added a request here:
    Thanks again,
    Doug
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    It’s on our list to add blob tabs as items. 
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.