Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Surface to Part or Part to Surfaces or Delete Face problem

kai_h_borbekai_h_borbe Member Posts: 14 EDU
Good evening,
i need your help again. I finished my model, now i have to design the inlet and outlet.
At the first attempt, i choose Surfaces and only one part in the middle.
This model looks very good, but SimScale/OpenFoam likes no surface geometries. All geometries had to be volumegeometries.
If i delet the surfaces and do it with parts,as the in-, and outlet, but i got a problem, with the inner and outer wall.

But there is a "trick", told in the simscale forum, i can use the tool delete Face, to delete all outside faces, and only keep the inner faces.
But the tool it's not working, i choose all outside faces, with the option heal, to receive a part without any wallthickness.

I think to import the geometries to simscale, it has to be all parts, no surfaces. So maybe there are two roads to the goal,
Is it possible to convert the ten surfaces from the in-, and outlet, to two parts ?
OR
Why cant i delet the outside faces with the option heal, at the Help Manual i dont see any regulations.

Thank you very much

Kai

Comments

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    When I've done parts for SimScale, I build as a solid part and use the split face command to create selectable areas on the faces.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • kai_h_borbekai_h_borbe Member Posts: 14 EDU
    thank you for this tip ! I do not know it, until now. But my problem is still there.

Best regards
    Kai

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited September 2019
    @kai_h_borbe

Try a "delete face" with "leave open" and then a "fill".  If the fill encloses a region, it will change the surface model to a solid model.
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/deleteface.htm
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/fill.htm

Edit: this will only work if the surfaces are all one surface model, rather than a bunch of separate surfaces.  When creating these surfaces, is it possible for you do do an "Add" rather than a "New"?  It would be helpful if you posted a link to your document so we can take a look.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • kai_h_borbekai_h_borbe Member Posts: 14 EDU

Thank you for your answers. I got it, the tool "delet face" work now well. As in 99% of the cases, the error sits in front of the computer.
    I didnt see the little little edge, at the middle, this is the reason, why it did not work.
    Here is the result:

with inside and outside walls
    without the outside walls

Best regards
    Kai
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Looks great Kai, thanks for sharing!
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team