Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

groups and patterns

katie_alfordkatie_alford Member Posts: 2 EDU
I imported an assembly off of GrabCad and everything was in one piece when I put it into a part studio which is what I was expecting. What I was not expecting was, as soon as I added this to my existing assembly, it separated into all its individual components. There are well over a hundred components in the assembly, so I grouped them together. I have a couple of configurations in my existing assembly, one of which does not include the imported assembly. I was hoping that I would only have to configure the suppression of the group feature and add and manage the one column to the configuration table as opposed to 100+ columns.
I think it would also be beneficial to be able to select the group feature from the tree as an instance for any kind of assembly pattern, rather than having to select each part of that group. Sometimes they add up as well. On the subject of patterns, skip instances would be very helpful.

Comments

• mlaflecheCADmlaflecheCAD Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 179
    edited September 2019
    @katie_alford      A quick spreadsheet trick:   You can perform the mass section in a spreadsheet like excel or google sheets, set the contents of the row as TRUE or FASE, and copy and paste from the spreadsheet to the Onshape table and it will do the mass selection for you.  

Also, maybe even better, is creating a sub-assembly of the imported assembly to manage may make this a moot point, the the entire subassembly would be one grouped object with one suppression state.

Here is a document to look at with a video in it...
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/90a561c0416e6d4b7587289a/w/87bdad8f8d2dbc52ed8f0f7d/e/b8acb3bb99dd6b66245be890
    Regards,
    Mike LaFleche   @mlaflecheCAD
  • katie_alfordkatie_alford Member Posts: 2 EDU
    edited September 2019
    @mlaflecheCAD
    Thank you so much! The second suggestion worked perfectly!
    I'm still getting used to the way onshape works. I come from using Solidworks which is a big help with onshape, it's just the manipulation of features that is a bit different.