Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Surface attach to Solid ( Inventor Sculpt alternative)

tom_kulagatom_kulaga Member Posts: 7 EDU
edited September 2019 in Using Onshape
Hi All,

I've got a cylinder solid, and I've created a surface using 3 lofts (blue). What I would like to do is fill the area in between the surface and solid, and attach to the solid. In Inventor I could use the "sculpt" command to do that, but in OS, I end up FILLing the back side of the surface, then that turns to a solid, and I need to trim that with the inside face of the cylinder, and then Union them. Is there a cleaner way to do it?

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    You can’t do it in one operation, but you can probably use Enclose (keep tools) then Boolean (union). For the enclose you might have to select the part and the surface from the Parts List (not the screen). 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Post it (public) and the community will show you how! :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • tom_kulagatom_kulaga Member Posts: 7 EDU
    Ahh oops how do I that?
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @tom_kulaga - Very easy - just hit the 'share' button and then select the 'public' tab and then the 'public' button.
    Next copy the URL to the Part Studio and paste it here. The good people of this community love 'fixing' stuff :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/61212483628d377236a10b7d/w/6abd26f60ce5814c9483445b/e/be240a20eb401bf43c145bf5

Here you go. I've made a simple example. I'd like to fill the area between the surface and the hollowed cylinder in the document.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Can Inventor fix this example? The surface doesn’t touch the cylinder all the way along and the ends are open. It would be several operations to do this. It would also be easier if the hole in the cylinder was cut out last. 

Thicken the surface, use Replace Face to fix the ends and Replace Face to make the thickened part of the surface match the inside of the cylinder. Then Boolean. Does it matter if it’s more than 1 feature?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    Thanks for the reply.

I've got a better example here:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9193051e6b0dfdccada4132a/w/aa88acc99c87d9e3d878b209/e/2c7f72001329c2621ded9603
    I've attached how inventor handles it.

The surface protrude a little into the cylinder, but it finds the area enclosed by the surfaces and the outside wall of the cylinder. What would be a neat way to do this in OS?

• steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    @tom_kulaga

You could also shell the cylinder before doing the enclosure 

@tom_kulaga

OK the below GIF is right in line with your last post. I started with a pipe or tube and three surface objects.

I used Enclose to make a solid part.

Then I did a Boolean

Notice how the surfaces that protruded into the pipe were eliminated upon doing the Enclose

Thanks very much! exactly what i wanted