Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Meshes in Assemblies

GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 379 PRO
I have just been using Fusion 360 to look at a file a colleague has sent me and noticed that he was able to insert a mesh into an assembly. It would be most useful if OnShape were able to do this. 
Are there any plans to allow this?

Comments

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @GWS50 - Short answer is YES! Long answer is that it will happen faster as more Pro users submit enhancement requests.
    Please 'submit feedback' from your help dropdown to accelerate this! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited September 2019
    @GWS50 I voted it up.

One work around, use incontext.

Steps for showing meshes in assemblies:
    -partstudio containing meshes & a solid body
    -assembly that contains partstudio
    -double click solid body from feature tree while in assembly
    -onshape will show assembly in partstudio with meshes

Some times I wish we had control over the opacity of the ghosted bodies used for incontext. Since I'm using incontext, mainly for everything these days, I'd like this control. I'd like the ghosted bodies to be almost opaque.

Please vote this one up also:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/5688/in-context-editing-ghost-opacity

• Options
    GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 379 PRO
    Thank you for the workaround. I'll give it a go.
    I have voted up your request