Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Obsolete Configuration Option

Michael_CoffeeMichael_Coffee Member Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
Encountered something that I think has a simple solution, or maybe there isn't any option. Don't know yet.

I have a configured part studio with some tables and different options. With the Release Management system, we can revise particular configurations. Is there a method of obsoleting a particular configuration? So far, I only have the option to "Release", not obsolete. I've only obsoleted parts so far by visiting the "Revision History" but I don't see that option once configured.

Answers

• raj_Onshaperaj_Onshape Onshape Employees Posts: 106
    1) Open the version in which you did the release
    2) Change part studio configuration parameters in the part studio to what you want to obsolete
    3) RMB on part and "Revision History..."
    4) Obsolete from revision history
  • Michael_CoffeeMichael_Coffee Member Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
    2) Change part studio configuration parameters in the part studio to what you want to obsolete
    Ah! I was trying to get to the Revision History through the studio tab, not the part itself in it xD Thank you!

Alright, new question/query dealing with configurations and obsoletes: when a part is placed into an assembly from a released version, it will have the triangle in the parts list. If there is a new release, it will highlight in blue. If however that release is obsoleted, there isn't any change in the symbol and the only method I have found to see this information is if you look at its BOM with the "State" column added in. Is this a bug, or just another feature lacking at the moment?
  • raj_Onshaperaj_Onshape Onshape Employees Posts: 106
    Ah! I was trying to get to the Revision History through the studio tab, not the part itself in it xD Thank you!

Alright, new question/query dealing with configurations and obsoletes: when a part is placed into an assembly from a released version, it will have the triangle in the parts list. If there is a new release, it will highlight in blue. If however that release is obsoleted, there isn't any change in the symbol and the only method I have found to see this information is if you look at its BOM with the "State" column added in. Is this a bug, or just another feature lacking at the moment?

Please log an improvement request for this feature. We felt it was not typical for a company to obsolete a revision without releasing a newer revision
  • Michael_CoffeeMichael_Coffee Member Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
    Please log an improvement request for this feature. We felt it was not typical for a company to obsolete a revision without releasing a newer revision
    Will do! Thank you.

I attempted both methods, the one I talked about and the one you just described, and ended up with the same result. If the model doesn't yet exist in the assembly, you cannot insert an obsolete revision (works as intended). However, if the model already exists in the assembly, nothing from the parts list indicates it is obsolete.

But anyway, to an improvement request I go.