Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

onshape vs solidworks

gideonwaldnergideonwaldner Member Posts: 32 EDU
I have been using on-shape in school for the last few year but i think i might switch over to solid-works my friend uses it and he let me try it out and after 10 mins I like it better then on-shape. i have been having a few issues with on-shape and might stay with it if i find out how to fix it.
here are the questions.
when extruding and it comes up red is there a way to see why its not working.
second Im 30 feet from a router and can watch 1080p videos on YouTube but a lot of the times it take forever to load on-shape documents  
third and final question is we have a small plasma and when i try and export dxf files they show up empty on our gcode converter 
gideon waldner

Comments

• adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    You can try running the system check:

https://cad.onshape.com/check

Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • mlaflecheCADmlaflecheCAD Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 179
    @gideonwaldner once you run the system check and determine if your web browser is configured properly for Onshape, feel free to share me into a document that you have seeing any slowness on and we can compare.  Also, when exporting to DXF, there are a number of settings that you can try on export that may be compatible with your plasma.  Try a few combination out and see what works.  Are you exporting direct from the surface in a part studio or from a drawing?
    Regards,
    Mike LaFleche   @mlaflecheCAD
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    when extruding and it comes up red is there a way to see why its not working.
    @gideonwaldner
    You can hover over the feature title that is in red. It will pop up a box with the error message
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    @gideonwaldner

1) YOU ASKED — When extruding and it comes up red, is there a way to see why it’s not working ?

Why don’t you post a link to the document your having a problem with so we could take a look at it. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here in the forum that could probably help you on this

2) YOU SAID —  i’m 30 feet from a router and can watch 1080P videos on YouTube, but a lot of times it takes forever to load Onshape documents

I’d be curious to take a look at one of these documents that takes a long time to load. If you could post a link to one of these documents, others could see if they are having the same slow load times
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited October 2019
    I've used Solidworks for years, Onshape doesn't have a few things SW dose, but what it has implemented. Works much better and with fewer bugs than SW.

In short, SW is a huge waste of money. You won't really see the big issues until your a week into the project and you start tangling the web of files and in-context references. The real way to use Solidworks is to avoid using all of it's the best features, like in-context for example, or ANYTHING parametric between two parts!!! I mean, sure you CAN use those features, but you will regret it every time.  Heaven forbid you open two assemblies with one of the parts having the same file name... lol good luck with that 😈

I mean, it isn't just SW, it is inherent problems associated with file based CAD. Removing files from the equation is the next leap forward for CAD, which is the foundation of Onshape. right now Onshape is the only pure database CAD, and the difference is massive when it comes to having a parametric design, not just a parametric hole related to the outside perimeter of a cube..

Edit (fixed misleading sentence above):

P.S.
    You know the cloud model is starting to take over. Some of the big cad players are starting to give database (sort of) options now. Some of them are kind of pseudo-cloud. Basically files on a cloud drive. Onshape is the first and (afaik) the only pure cloud platform.  And if I had a dollar for every time I heard "F$#@ing SolidWorks" muttered throughout the day (by some of the biggest SW supporters / anti-Onshapers I work with), I could eat a steak for lunch every day :)
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    @gideonwaldner

I’m pretty sure @john_mcclary made a typo.

I believe John was intending to say ... it is inherent problems associated with file based CAD, which is NOT the foundation of Onshape

I think John left the word NOT out of the sentence 

I believe John was intending to say that Onshape is not a file based CAD system but rather, Onshape uses a document-oriented database model

https://www.onshape.com/cad-blog/the-difference-between-files-and-databases-and-what-it-means-for-cad-and-product-design

And Gideon, you really should listen to what John says because this guy knows a tremendous amount about SolidWorks and Onshape — far more than I’ll ever know. I could only wish that I had his expertise in these things
    Thanks @steve_shubin that did sound weird after I read it again. Thankyou for clearing that up
  • gideonwaldnergideonwaldner Member Posts: 32 EDU
    I've used Solidworks for years, Onshape doesn't have a few things SW dose, but what it has implemented. Works much better and with fewer bugs than SW.

In short, SW is a huge waste of money. You won't really see the big issues until your a week into the project and you start tangling the web of files and in-context references. The real way to use Solidworks is to avoid using all of it's the best features, like in-context for example, or ANYTHING parametric between two parts!!! I mean, sure you CAN use those features, but you will regret it every time.  Heaven forbid you open two assemblies with one of the parts having the same file name... lol good luck with that 😈

I mean, it isn't just SW, it is inherent problems associated with file based CAD. Removing files from the equation is the next leap forward for CAD, which is the foundation of Onshape. right now Onshape is the only pure database CAD, and the difference is massive when it comes to having a parametric design, not just a parametric hole related to the outside perimeter of a cube..

Edit (fixed misleading sentence above):

P.S.
    You know the cloud model is starting to take over. Some of the big cad players are starting to give database (sort of) options now. Some of them are kind of pseudo-cloud. Basically files on a cloud drive. Onshape is the first and (afaik) the only pure cloud platform.  And if I had a dollar for every time I heard "F$#@ing SolidWorks" muttered throughout the day (by some of the biggest SW supporters / anti-Onshapers I work with), I could eat a steak for lunch every day :)

I wish onshape would have a offline version though that saved files until next time your device connected to wifi 
    gideon waldner
    @gideonwaldner

1) YOU ASKED — When extruding and it comes up red, is there a way to see why it’s not working ?

Why don’t you post a link to the document your having a problem with so we could take a look at it. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here in the forum that could probably help you on this

2) YOU SAID —  i’m 30 feet from a router and can watch 1080P videos on YouTube, but a lot of times it takes forever to load Onshape documents

I’d be curious to take a look at one of these documents that takes a long time to load. If you could post a link to one of these documents, others could see if they are having the same slow load times

its a privet document but can i share it to you 
    gideon waldner
    @gideonwaldner once you run the system check and determine if your web browser is configured properly for Onshape, feel free to share me into a document that you have seeing any slowness on and we can compare.  Also, when exporting to DXF, there are a number of settings that you can try on export that may be compatible with your plasma.  Try a few combination out and see what works.  Are you exporting direct from the surface in a part studio or from a drawing?
    Everything works fine according to the compatibility check exept for my laptop has a inter-graded GPU would that cause it? 

can i share the document with you?
    gideon waldner
    Thank you to everyone that commented (another thing thats a benefit of working with onshape) I will be sticking with onshape untill schools over then ill see what ill buy  
    gideon waldner
    edited October 2019
    Integrated GPU should be find for Onshape if you are making small/medium size projects.

By that I mean a bunch of simple shapes, like square plates with holes it them, rather than a car fender, a mesh, or a bunch of curvy fancy stuff. :)

Unfortunately desktop grade software is generally more hardware dependent. So what you see in Onshape will always perform faster than a Solidworks model if you are using an integrated GPU.

You will also be limited to one processor core at a time. So you are stuck regenerating / saving one thing at a time. Right Now I have 4 (similar) projects open. I am detailing them all at the same time, when one tab decides to be slow and needs a regen, I get it started then switch to the other tab and keep working. Which is another thing to consider if you like to multi-task.

Here, I tiled my active tabs so you can see what I mean.

And this is the message I get when I try to just "open" SolidWorks without even a part open..

would this be the reason im colabing with another student to make something and we picked this also this is not the laptop i use to design  
    gideon waldner
    That's true too, if you have more than 1 person you are collaborating with in Onshape, you will see slower regen times.

Although in Solidworks you simply cannot have the same model open without one person being in "read-only" mode
    That's true too, if you have more than 1 person you are collaborating with in Onshape, you will see slower regen times.

Although in Solidworks you simply cannot have the same model open without one person being in "read-only" mode
    he made most of it and then I made a copy and now im finishing 
    gideon waldner
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Have a look into branching and merging, copies are bad in database CAD...
    Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • peter_1776peter_1776 Member Posts: 6
    There are some basic questions to ask before choosing which direction:

What is your primary usage? Hobby or own business?
    Are you willing to pay for the software every year?
    Do you work on files on different computers?
    Do you want security of 'owning' your files?
    Will others work with you on your files?

There are plenty of other questions to ask, but these are some that can get you started. I used to be very concerned about 'owning' my files, but am less so now. My meaning is if you choose Onshape, and down the road decide to change systems, you can download the dumb parasolids, but you will have to re-model your parts if you want to make a change. At least with Solidworks you could quickly do a revision (in Solidworks) of legacy parts, while using your new 3D CAD program to do new parts. That said, for us small guys, this scenario may not be something we will actually come across.

If you're running a business, the annual subscription fee is a reasonable cost, and the benefit of having all your 3D managed thru Onshape in the cloud is huge. For most situations, it more than overcomes any lack of capability in the software when compared to other packages.