Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do you make your gifs? (ex: like in Onshape Improvement Updates)

Michael_CoffeeMichael_Coffee Member Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
edited October 2019 in General
I see people and the staff make and post these various gifs of things they're doing on the computer with Onshape and post them to the forum like it's the easiest thing in the world. The staff do it the most often, but I am at a loss of how it's done.

Please and thank you =D

Answers

• bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    This is what I use: https://giphy.com/apps/giphycapture

A lot of it is in the window set up and prep. Doing that right will save you a lot of time on any editing or post-processing. Hope this helps!
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    Very small footprint, supports numerous OS's:  https://www.cockos.com/licecap/
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Hmm, absolutely no commonality here! :)
    I use https://ezgif.com/video-to-gif

Yes, after a while it becomes second nature to make and post these :)
    Have fun! :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    @Michael_Coffee

I could be wrong but I believe those Onshape Improvement Updates are videos and NOT GIFs.

Some say you could add sound to GIFs now but then I’ll also read that they are no longer GIFs, once they add sound, so…

But I guess somebody could try adding sound to their GIF and see if they can post it as they normally post GIFs into the forum

The videos Onshape does are typically longer than a few seconds They could be a number of minutes long. Now I’ve read that you can make GIFs as long as 3 minutes. I’ve made a GIF that’s almost 2 minutes long. But my GIF picked up a stutter or a jerky type of quality to it as with dropped frames. But who knows, there may be a GIF program out there that will let you make GIFs that are 3 or 4 minutes long with frame rates of 15 or 20 frames per second. I’d be curious to know if anybody has such a program for the Mac operating system, although I’m not itching to get back to using my Mac a lot. I prefer doing things on my iPhone at this point

When you look at Onshape videos, they’re very smooth (good frame rate) and they can go for minutes, and they have audio. So my guess is Onshape is doing videos.

Only reason I do the GIFs is because you can post a GIF directly into the forum like a photo or image. Unfortunately, you cannot do that with videos. The only way I know to do videos is you have to have something like a YouTube account or somewhere on the Internet where you post your videos, and then Onshape can make a portal or a link to that video.