Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Mirror part functionality is not enough

konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
I faced the problem that all instruments in part studio that can make a duplicate part actually do create new part, there are no option to make a new instance of the same part. And it would be ok, but in the assembly workflow there are not mirror instrument, and construction geometry instrument. It is a significant limitation compared to SW where one can choose to create a new mirror part or create just a new instance of part in the mirror position if the part has the plane of symmetry.

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi @konstantin_shiriazdanov

You can create a new instance of an existing part in a partstudio using the "trasform" function.  It has a copy part checkbox so this will create your copy and place it where you want in one operation.  You can also derive in as many copies of a part as you wish.

For the assy side of things I might not be understanding your use but it sounds like you could use a layout sketch perhaps?  Sketches can be imported inta assemblies and then can be mated to.

I believe a mirror option of a part in the assembly has been requested for a future version.

Not sure if that helps or not.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @owen_sparks
    If the copy checkbox in transform is checked it creates new part which has the same geometry like the refferent part, not the new instance of a part. Using sketches is a tricky way for symmetrical positioning of the same parts. This is sereous lack of basic functionality
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @konstantin_shiriazdanov - You are 100% correct - any part created in a part studio is 'a part'. That's exactly what part studios are designed to do. Assemblies are where you create instances (patterns etc). The functionality you are asking for is 'mirrored assembly'. This is very advanced capability (far from 'basic' and one that SolidWorks only introduced in 2009 - some 14 years after the initial release!). We will get there in the fullness of time (we have a lot of other projects in the works as well - hot on the heels of sheet metal), but in the meantime, you can hasten its arrival (over other projects), by submitting an enhancement request.
    Thank you :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Lucas_KuhnsLucas_Kuhns Member, csevp Posts: 88 PRO
    We're almost 3 years later and this improvement request is still open! Here's the link where you can vote on it: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/5763/mirror-feature-for-assembly-workflow/p1. I realize that this is probably a very challenging thing to do. It would help to at least have an assembly mirror feature where it copies the part instances into the mirrored position (can't create a left and right-hand version of a part). I trust that when OS finally implements this it will be better than SW's implementation!