Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Exported part orientation

brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
edited October 2019 in General
Didn't we used to have the ability to export parts and select how to set the orientation? I am having my students start running analysis on part models using SolidWorks. I want them to model in Onshape (for now) and export for SW. However, OS uses Z up and SW uses Y up. I want to write my instructions to describe the direction of forces and part orientation. I know they will get confused when Z becomes Y and Y becomes Z. Any ideas that a third grader will understand (because these are college students). ;-)

Comments

• PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    @brian_brady For today, in SolidWorks you could press spacebar, set the view orientation as you want, and then make that the view orientation you want with the tools there (Update Standard Views).  I'm writing a bug to fix this on export to SolidWorks file type from Onshape.  

• brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    Thanks @PeteYodis. This is the first semester our school is using SW. I have used Creo Simulate in previous years. I would really like to find a good, easy to use, free to students analysis package for Onshape. Alas, I have not hit that sweet spot so I need to export to SW.

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    The problem with SW's free simulation is it only works on one body.
    It won't let you simulate assemblies unless you pay for the license.
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    The problem with SW's free simulation is it only works on one body.
    It won't let you simulate assemblies unless you pay for the license.
    I am using the full, paid educational version of SW Simulation. Another program within our college uses SW in their design classes so our program shares the cost to have access to the Simulation suite. Maybe now I'll eventually go back to Creo Simulate considering last week's announcement.