Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Countersunk screws

GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
I'm having trouble inserting countersunk screws as the mate connector on the screw seems ot be in the middle of the screw.
Is there a way to preset it to the top of the head of the screw?

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    The mate connector is at the point of the csk cone - when you hover over a hole csk you will see a connection point at the tip of that cone that you can mate to.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    Holding down the shift key once you hover over the countersink will make it easier to select the point you want instead of a mate connector for some other geometry.
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 516
    edited October 2019
    A very good reason for the mate connector residing at the apex of the cone is for controlling the recess depth of countersunk holes and having fasteners automatically adjust and mate as they would in real life.  We have some work to do in the hole feature to pair the countersunk hole types with countersunk fastener types in our standard content library and also provide a recess depth parameter.  This will let users determine easily how much they will want the fastener head to remain below the surface (important in designs across all tolerance variations in collective parts in the mix) - and content in those holes at the assembly will then just adjust as you expect.  
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Ah, so this is the secret  a certain Jake spilled the beans on...
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited October 2019
    @owen_sparks I just took a quick peek and there are 33 hole improvements that we are considering to be "schedulable"; as in, not yet specifically scheduled but on our broader list of things we could and should do.  This is definitely one of them, but not quite at the top yet :)
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646

Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    @owen_sparks I just took a quick peek and there are 33 hole improvements that we are considering to be "schedulable"; as in, not yet specifically scheduled but on our broader list of things we could and should do.  This is definitely one of them, but not quite at the top yet :)
    Outstanding :+1:  That reminds me, I must raise an IR to remove imperial bolt sizes from the hole feature and standard content... 
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
    Thank you to all....got it now! Loving the beans