Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is there a way to convert a part or entire document to a 2D diagram?

I have more or less designed the piece that I would like to build. To do so, I need to cut much of it from a single piece of acrylic sheet. I saw that you can convert some parts to drawings, but they weren't that useful and don't have any measurements listed (and it's not clear how to show the measurements if it is possible). Is there any feature that would allow you to view a whole 2D diagram of a document? I understand that would be a very complex feature so I understand if the answer is no.

To give you an example of what I mean, here is the one I did by hand (click into the sketch to view the measurements). Is my "by-hand" approach the best option for me?

Tagged:

Answers

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I think you're on the right track with your first link. You've created 3D parts, and then added one of your parts to a drawing. The process for adding dimensions to the drawing is essentially the same as adding dimensions to a sketch. 

If you want more than one part on the same drawing, you should add your parts to an Assembly, position them where you want them, and then create a drawing from that assembly. 

However, its not clear exactly what you want to use the drawings for. If you can provide more specifics about what you're trying to accomplish with the drawing, the users here may be able to provide more specific guidance. 

Also, don't forget about the Help Pages: https://cad.onshape.com/help and Learning Center: https://learn.onshape.com/

• HouseOfBreadCrumbsHouseOfBreadCrumbs Member Posts: 20
    @tim_hess427
    I just need to know where I need to cut my acrylic sheet. Sure, I can constantly check my computer and go to each part and look at it's sketch or right-click and view the dimensions, move it around and that would work, but it would be more convenient to have a single reference like the image I posted above. I'm just wondering if there's a better way to do that in Onshape.  :)
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @HouseOfBreadCrumbs

if I understand your request - you are looking to get a sheet laid out with parts nested.  Here are a couple of forum discussions on that.  The 2nd one should be most helpful with the Feature Script 'Auto Layout'.

www.accuratepattern.com
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    @HouseOfBreadCrumbs
    You could try building your model as sheet metal with small thickness and radius and use the flat pattern drawing .
    @HouseOfBreadCrumbs

if I understand your request - you are looking to get a sheet laid out with parts nested.  Here are a couple of forum discussions on that.  The 2nd one should be most helpful with the Feature Script 'Auto Layout'.

Thanks for the links. I tried the second one but it didn't quite do it, but it's basically exactly what I need (if it worked). Here it what it created:

• henry_feldmanhenry_feldman Member Posts: 126 EDU
    edited November 2019
    I have more or less designed the piece that I would like to build. To do so, I need to cut much of it from a single piece of acrylic sheet. I saw that you can convert some parts to drawings, but they weren't that useful and don't have any measurements listed (and it's not clear how to show the measurements if it is possible). Is there any feature that would allow you to view a whole 2D diagram of a document? I understand that would be a very complex feature so I understand if the answer is no.

To give you an example of what I mean, here is the one I did by hand (click into the sketch to view the measurements). Is my "by-hand" approach the best option for me?

You can right-click on any face and export as DXF which I import for laser cutting. That's tedious on large models. You can use KiriMoto to do packing for you and there are some feature scripts that do laser exporting, where it lays out all the object for cutting. The feature script is called "auto layout"
    @henry_feldman Thanks. Yeah I think for now since the auto layout doesn't quite work I'll just stick to my approach. I only need CAD for small personal projects, as much as I would like to spend the time to really master it.
  • henry_feldmanhenry_feldman Member Posts: 126 EDU
    @henry_feldman Thanks. Yeah I think for now since the auto layout doesn't quite work I'll just stick to my approach. I only need CAD for small personal projects, as much as I would like to spend the time to really master it.
    Oh, and one thing when you export a surface for laser cutting/DXF, there is a difference between right clicking on a selected surface versus ,just clicking. The selected one has a useful name for saving the DXF built in, while the unselected one doesn't. Again not a big deal as you can manually enter the name in the save as dialog, but easy to confuse various diagrams...