Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Keep same sketch and feature dimensions while changing Workspace units

DI_PEDI_PE Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited November 2019 in Product Feedback
When changing the Workspace units the geometry dimensions stay the same, the parts do not scale. So, the sketch and feature dimensions change, e.g. inches to mm: the sketch dim 1 ==> 0,03937. 
I like to have the possibility to keep the sketch and feature dimensions the same so that the geometry dimensions change cq. the parts scale. 

Comments

• brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    Onshape could look at what their parent company does with Creo. When you change units, you select whether to convert or translate (exact wording may be different). In other words, if you have a dimension of 1 inch in a sketch, converting it would make it 1 mm. If you translate the same dimension, it would become 25.4 mm. I like that functionality. Just include a checkbox and make translate the standard but checking the box converts all units in the document. This would be best on a Part Studio by Part Studio basis though.

Brian
  • Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    After 28 (1990-2018) years with Pro/E and Creo I know. That's were the idea came from.
    Henk de Vlaam (NL)
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Units are stored as part of the entry.  We do not change them since they are part of the design intent.  We will add scale at some point to sketches so this can be addressed but it is not part of our plan at this point.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.