Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Pretty close on Android

stefan_1stefan_1 Member Posts: 7
First of all, I know this is not officially supported, but here is how close I got to using OnShape on my Android tablet.

Step 1 - Enable WebGL in Chrome (in my case I had to use chrome://flags and turn on hardware acceleration because my device is on the HW accel blacklist by default)
Step 2 - Request desktop site - this just seemed to help with getting the viewport sized properly, without it the menus and sidebar were cropped out and I couldn't scroll to them)
This got me close enough to view my model, but I hit two obstacles:
- input in the view would not register; tapping on the sidebar then seemed to result in my previously ignored input to be sent an event at a time to the view
- the orientation cube was shown cropped at the bottom of the screen, so I could not rotate the view interactively this way either

All in all, it seems like OnShape may not be that far from working on the latest Android Chrome, and it looks like performance on my Galaxy S is good (I did notice some rendering artifacts, but they are likely due to the OpenGL drivers on the device)

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Stephan We are looking at listening for touch events but are also building an Andriod app as well.  I can add you to the request for touch events in the web app if you like.  
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • stefan_1stefan_1 Member Posts: 7
    While an app is probably the right way to go, supporting touch browsers will be great. I think the fact that I even got so close is a testament to the technology choices you made. Since every device manufacturer seems bent on trying to modify Android in their own special way and have their own special app store/platform/ecosystem, having the ability to rely on good ol' web standards is nice - apps can understandably be only supported for the most popular platforms.

Really the only thing that seemed off was the exact screen layout, and that may be due to the aspect ratio of the browser when I use the tablet in landscape mode (so improving that would probably help in general). It would be interesting to see what UI can be designed to substitute for the lack of keyboard shortcuts - the toolbar is not quite it.
  • shaun_3shaun_3 Member Posts: 11
    Before I get too far down the road and end in frustration, Stefan, do you suppose I can get to at least the same level of utility on my Samsung Nexus10?

Lou, Chrome Guru that you are, what do you think? Also, android app = moot point to above issues?
  • stefan_1stefan_1 Member Posts: 7
    Right now you would not actually _use_ OnShape with Chrome on Android; This post was really just to point out that it seems both the browser and OnShape are pretty close to this working. I would wait until something more official is announced
  • shaun_3shaun_3 Member Posts: 11
    Stefan said:
    Right now you would not actually _use_ OnShape with Chrome on Android; This post was really just to point out that it seems both the browser and OnShape are pretty close to this working. I would wait until something more official is announced
    Roger that. Thanks.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Shaun  Well not moot since I am a HUGE Chromebook fan and have the original and going to have the new Google Pixel.  Touch screen machines are on the rise on Windows as well so I would love to see support for touch events.  Not to worry everyone.. .all of development knows about touch on the web... I would love that interface with CAD on  my laptop.  It is probably also good to note that this would not replace the Android app, it would give options to every platform.  
  • Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    At the first Onshape user-group meeting last night here in town. My buddy Mark was showing his windows machine with a touch screen working exceptionally with the touch screen. Has me wanting a touch on my MBP

• awkawk Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 78
    The browser client team is paying close attention to the feedback we get from the  mobile apps (iOS today, Android later). We'd like to be consistent across platforms for the gestures, and to make sure that the gestures we have work well.

So… try the mobile clients and send us your feedback, it will influence more than just one app in the coming months.
    Director of API, Appstore, and App Partner Technical Support
  • george_sfgeorge_sf Member Posts: 1
    Is there a beta android app? Onshape in Chrome on my Android tablet is not usable yet.  Will either ios or android be compatible with a BT mouse?   The ios app is great so far
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    +1 for touch events - I'm using 24" touch screens on my pc.. 
    //rami
  • quentin_4quentin_4 Member Posts: 7
    @LouGallo +1 I also look forward to see the Android application for onshape ! May you add me in the touch event loop please ?
  • adam_thorpadam_thorp Member Posts: 2
    I would also appreciate an invite to the android application. Love using onshape thus far. Thanks!
  • kylemoorekylemoore Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    I have signed up on the webpage that was available to us via an email message I received.  Is there anything else we need to do to be on the list to beta test the android app?
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    kylemoore said:
    I have signed up on the webpage that was available to us via an email message I received.  Is there anything else we need to do to be on the list to beta test the android app?
    Make sure that Lou and the team know you are interested in the Android alpha/beta.  We will be contacting users when we are going to start the program with instructions on how to install and use.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • kylemoorekylemoore Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    kylemoore said:
    Make sure that Lou and the team know you are interested in the Android alpha/beta.  We will be contacting users when we are going to start the program with instructions on how to install and use.
    How do I get in touch with Lou? email address or just post in the forums? and do you mean lougallo who is in this thread?
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    kylemoore said:
    kylemoore said:
    How do I get in touch with Lou? email address or just post in the forums? and do you mean lougallo who is in this thread?
    Either through email or post in the forums.  

Yes, Lou Gallo is most likely going to be sending out the invites when we start our Android alpha/beta.
    Jake Ramsley

• navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    I would appreciate an invite to the android application as well. Thanks!
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • romeo_grahamromeo_graham OS Professional Posts: 9
    I would also like to get in on the Android App testing. Thanks!
    I have seen all of your requests.  I will be in touch when we are ready to get the testers going.
  • ryan_blackwoodryan_blackwood Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Hello, I would also like to be added to this list.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 and will be getting a tablet as soon as you make the app available.  Thanks
  • james_van_tasseljames_van_tassel Member Posts: 3
    I would also like to get in on the Android App testing. Thanks!
    I'm anxiously awaiting the release of this Android App also!
  • adrian_10adrian_10 Member Posts: 10
    i have been using onshape on my chromebook pretty impressed.

would also like to beta the android app. I assume you are going to do the beta testing through the system supplied by google? A google+ beta community.
  • david_cushingdavid_cushing Member Posts: 16
    Will this Android App be just for tablets, or will phones work too?
    I guess "Mark me down".
    Will this Android App be just for tablets, or will phones work too?
    I guess "Mark me down".
    Our goal is to make apps that work on both tablets and phones for iOS and Android.  
    Jake Ramsley

• mark_stormmark_storm Member Posts: 1
    I would love to test it on my Samsung Tab, so please sign me up on the App testing! ;)

Mark
  • kevin_lambkevin_lamb Member Posts: 1
    I would be happy to help with testing on the android OS, Galaxy note 3 and Galaxy note 10.1 (custom os). I am a daily Vectorworks user.

Kevin.
  • brad_schroederbrad_schroeder Member Posts: 1
    I would also be glad to help test an Android App on my LG G4 and Nexus 7.  Let me know how I can help!
  • jeff_kunklerjeff_kunkler Member Posts: 2
    I would like to help beta test on Android... Running a Samsung 10.1 Tab Note

• james_van_tasseljames_van_tassel Member Posts: 3
    Why won't the Onshape Mobile App work with my Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0 Tablet?
  • andrew_burchillandrew_burchill Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2015
    I too, have a Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1,
    Google Play is saying "This app is incompatible with all of your devices."
    As it only has Android 4.2.2, this must be the reason.