Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Combine Surface?

Ethan_RejtoEthan_Rejto Member Posts: 4
I am hoping to combine these 2 surfaces into 1. I did an offset surface at a depth of 0mm to get the initial surface of the entire outer profile of my part.

I then went to split it in half at the point with the arrow. Unfortunately, the surface that I'm splitting with also intersects the original surface in 2 other points creating 3 surface on that side instead of 1.

Any tips?

Comments

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    I tried a few different things, I couldn't get the edges to knit.

Best I got with just surface tools was loft. but it still showed an tangency edge, so it probably wasn't perfect.

Eventually I went to a work around that I know would work, Thicken the surfaces, boolean union them, then offset surface from the thickened part.

This will create a new surface, which you will need to replace wherever you need to reference the merged surface.
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @Ethan_Rejto
    Here is a boolean featurescript that will combine surfaces:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/84d939daceef6a928b8abcba
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited July 2019
    I use @MBartlett21 boolean feature script all the time and highly recommend it.

I do only use the basic stuff in it. Like combining surface patches.

I don't know what the options do and perhaps we can get an overview of the power of this feature script. What can it really do?

I did read through the supplied link again and just realized I can trim up imported meshes. I've been wanting that for a long time and it's here. This is a must have feature script.

• Options
    @billy2

You can also use a mesh to trim a surface
    i have made a list of the inputs into the feature and the results in the document
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    @MBartlett21

Can I use a surface to trim a mesh? surface 15 is a planar surface & detail is a mesh.

And then......

What does all this stuff do? I use automatic all of the time.

I've been reading through the feature library documentation and have some basic clues. Do you have any examples for these conditions.

Was reading through some parasolids stuff hoping the answer didn't lie there.

• Options
    billy2 said:
    @MBartlett21

Can I use a surface to trim a mesh? surface 15 is a planar surface & detail is a mesh.

And then......

What does all this stuff do? I use automatic all of the time.

I've been reading through the feature library documentation and have some basic clues. Do you have any examples for these conditions.

Was reading through some parasolids stuff hoping the answer didn't lie there.

@billy2

Currently Onshape does not support using a surface to trim a mesh, but it works the other way around.
    Often if a part that you are trying to trim a mesh with has a face that touches one of the mesh's points, it won't work either.

Also, I have edited the UI a lot in version 3 to make it simpler. I have removed the Manual, Specify Matches and Automatic and I also have rebuilt the algorithm for computing matches.
    IR for AS/NZS 1100