Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Question About Mass Property in Onshape API

C_JustinC_Justin Member Posts: 16
Hi there,

I want to ask for a way to do a massive comparison between different parts with mass property. For example, if I have two parts, how can I compare their mass using the mass in Mass Property in API? Since the mass has a maximum and minimum value, which for me it seems this stands for a small range of epsilon that the number with in this range should be considered equal. For example if a part have mass [4, 1, 5] and the other one having [2, 2, 6]. If such thing happens, then 2 is in the range of that small epsilon which should be considered equal but the ranges are different, how can I compare the parts? Or the range actually stands for a different meaning?
Thanks for your time reading this!

Best
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Ethan_KEthan_K Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 57
    Hi @C_Justin

The range comes from potential rounding errors due to floating point arithmetic. The range should be tiny. If it isn't, then you are probably modeling on an extremely small scale (micrometers). The range is so small that you can most likely just use the middle value. The values you passed don't make sense to me. Have you seen those values in an API response? If so, please share the call that you are making (and the document) with support, and we can look into this.

Cheers,
    -Ethan