Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Add extrude draft option to the thicken command

mj_powersmj_powers Member Posts: 18 PRO
This feature would be helpful to created drafted cuts or holes through curved surfaces.

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @mj_powers Can you provide some context where this is helpful.  Having to pick neutral planes and direction of pull becomes hard with thicken when the faces in question pass thru many planes.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • mj_powersmj_powers Member Posts: 18 PRO
    Hello - sorry for the delayed response.  the scenario for wanting the thicken command to have a draft would be to cut out details on a curved surface for items that will need to be pulled out of a mold.  for example this pumpkin mineral chew for small animals - see attached image.  the face features were projected onto the curved surface with the split face command.  the i used thicken to remove the materials for the face. But I cannot draft the removal of the material, which is the correct thing to do for manufacturing - it seems like this should be a "must include" option for this feature. 
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    edited September 2021
    Hey @mj_powers

I see what you're getting at, but I also see some of the challenges in actually implementing it that Lou is getting at.

For this scenario, does the native draft tool in Parting Line mode do what you want?

You could also create these recesses as part of an extrude cut, up to body, with an offset, which would already give you a more mold-friendly pull direction. You could either draft inside of the extrude feature, which will draft from the sketch plane, or you can use parting line draft after your extrude.

I made an example of each method here:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f73227cfc6d5777b54838109/w/0de1de6dc18bea8ae20d94bb/e/0464fde1789624c00007bf77

Here's the thing with draft. I'm not sure what modeling method you used (your model looks good), but the way I made my pumpkin didn't end up with all of the edges that yours has, which should also make selections for parting line draft easier, and more robust to change, not sure if it messes anything else up for ya though. Hope this helps.

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl