Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Tree for derivations, to help find where derived from

dana_kelley262dana_kelley262 Member Posts: 31
I'd like to see a tree showing the top level document parts and what led to them and all the way to the original part when derived in a document. For a derived part it would be nice to see the source and the derived tree to the original part. I often will have a base part that is tailored along the way up to the final use. Perhaps several layers deep. This same base part may be used in other documents while along the way. This is to make it easier to find the part source and where it has been edited along the way.

Hope this makes sense...

Also is there a way to have one flag to indicate there are derived items that need/ may need to be updated? I have a document with 12 derived parts and if I put them in folders, that make sense in the document, I would have to open each folder to find if they need updating.

Comments

• PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    @dana_kelley262 Are you using derive as a means to capturing a manufacturing process.  For example, you derive a cast part into a part studio in order to do machining operations/features on it?  
  • dana_kelley262dana_kelley262 Member Posts: 31
    edited January 2020
    @PeteYodis One can think of it that way. What I'm doing is creating a base functional design and then using it or parts of it higher up. Where some parts may be modified along the way to the final assembly or be used in other assemblies. So leaving the base design untouched except if there is a common change required.

What I struggle with is knowing exactly where the part higher up came from and how far back toward the source should I go to change it for the good of all users. Hence seeing the entire tree would be a nice way to depict where things come from. It would also be nice to see where a part goes to as well.