Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Obsolete Watermark in Model View

Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
I share released content via link.
I would like to see all my released obsolete parts (in part studio) - include an Obsolete Watermark over the 3D model content.
The obsolete icon in the Parts list is easy to miss.

Comments

• romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    Or - maybe the "obsolete" could be a texture on the surfaces of each part. That way, if this Part Studio had one part that was NOT Obsolete, you could see the one that is by the texture mapped onto the part surfaces.

(might need the "coloring individual faces" Improvement Request for that, though)
  • Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
    @romeograham great points.

Additional context for others - I intend to typically create a document for a part studio (single part) and a drawing. I will release both part and drawing. I will share the document with external non- OnShape users who may still have a link issued in the past and not recognize the revision control obsolete marks.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @theo_richardson I think there is also another challenge when it is NOT only one part which many are.  The obsolete on the graphics area is not going to be correct unless there is some flag like a 3D notation that shows it.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
    edited February 2020
    @lougallo
    OK agreed flags may be necessary - our ideas can be complimentary. In my opinion a large warning (that "some parts may be obsolete") is still a lot more effective than someone proceeding without any warning or any significant warning for obsolete status. From this advised point forward, the user will be watching for flags, etc. At the moment I find the level of notice insignificant and prone to error.
    I trust the OnShape expertise to design a solution.