Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

BOM cross-reference parts

dan_engererdan_engerer Member Posts: 63 PRO
I like Onshape's new built-in BOM feature. And it's good that when you click on an item in the BOM, it highlights the part. But really, my prototype assemblers need it the other way around - so when they click on a part, it highlights in the BOM and they can know what part # it is, etc.

Do you know of any way to get this type of functionality? Because it's somewhat tedious to have to skim through the whole BOM to find the part of interest

Comments

• Piotr_Smektała_VBPiotr_Smektała_VB Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Well, I have the same problem right now, February 2020!
    Is it still impossible to click on a part in assembly studio and have a highlighted row in OS BOM table?
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    No, clicking a part does not highlight the BOM...

If you click a part it will highlight the part in the tree.
    So if you add "Name" Column to the BOM then you can find it that way.
    edited February 2020
    Well, it's a little bit laborious in a table with about 1000 parts :-)
    Or I'm missing something and there is a way to search in the BOM table?

I know that such an auto highlighting capability can use too much processing power, but an option in a right click menu as "Find in BOM" will be very useful.
    edited February 2020
    BTW,
    I can not see any sort-by-column option in BOM either.
    I didn't say it was a good solution. But it is better than clicking each part in the BOM until you find your part highlighted in the model. :)

You may want to create an Improvement Request on the right -->

But what I typically do is rename each part like this "PartNumber - Description"
    If you copy your BOM and paste it into a spreadsheet, then you can create a quick formula that combines your "description" and "partnumber" columns then paste it back into the BOM, that will rename all of your parts quickly. (probably 1-2 minutes for 1000 unique parts)

Then you can click the part and look at the part number in the tree instead of the BOM. It also helps to have the part names formatted that way for when you export step files for manufacturing.

Here's what mine looks like to set all of the properties in the Parts:

1: Paste raw BOM info into H5
    2: Enter some partnumber info
    3: Copy the columns you want to paste back into your Onshape BOM

Now when you click a part you will see :

BTW,
    I can not see any sort-by-column option in BOM either.
    BOM is sorted by the assembly tree order. Move parts around in your tree and your BOM will match
    edited February 2020
    I appreciate that super explanatory example of a workaround. Yeap, that works well when you need only one or two properties form the BOM and you can include them in the part name. But, I would like to see all additional properties/columns of that clicked part ;-)
    Once again, thank you very much John.
    And definitely I'll go for a IR with that "Find in BOM" option ;-)
    post your IR here, I'll vote for it
    Please do not hesitate to vote up! ;-)
  • Len_WangerLen_Wanger Member, Developers Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Finding parts in the BOM for a large assembly is painful. A trick that works for me in my browser: click on the BOM and use the browsers search function (ctrl-F) to search for the part number or a keyword. Note: if using a structured BOM view you need to expand the tree to find the item.