Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Import 1 did not regenerate properly, and cannot find the boundary edges

nidor_huangnidor_huang Member Posts: 1
Hi,

I imported a prt file onto Onshape, and it says the import did not regenerate properly: imported part contains faults. Part 1 contains faulty topology. I guess it could be caused by some boundary edges. However I cannot see any solid red edges showing the places I need to repair. Not quite sure what is the root cause of this error and what to do next. Any suggestions?
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/988d6e0f12b6596cc273ec44/w/2eff346a72de4fa578b9ccfe/e/d18a1b20ab436a9bbe6e9137

Tagged:

Answers

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    edited February 2020
    @nidor_huang

Welcome to the forum!  

I feel your pain.  Translation errors are a continuing challenge for us as almost every project requires us to import customer data.  CAD data can be really poor and even the 'good' stuff can have faults.

@lougallo helped me through support with a good work around.  Do a round trip translation with another format.  If the part came in Parasolid export to ACIS and import back in.  

In your case ACIS round trip did not fix it.  Instead STEP round trip created a fault free part.  Here is the document.

Lou may want to add to this - his favored order to try is..

·         Parasolid

·         ACIS

·         STEP

·         IGES

I encourage Onshape to do a webinar & help document on tips & tricks for import & repair.  I am hoping for better import & repair tools.  Till then this trick often works.

www.accuratepattern.com
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    You can also split the bad part with a bunch of planes to narrow down the location of the fault. (Hopefully that split will yield one good half, and one bad.  Rinse and repeat.)  Previously that only eve yielded all faulty parts but now it often works well.
    Cheers,
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd