Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Advice with Extrusion / Intersections / General TIps :)

yuggniiksyuggniiks Member Posts: 25 EDU
Hi.  I'm looking for advice on how to create a hole in an extruded surface. 
My goal here is to make the object hollow on the inside, so cone / orange extrusion / and bottom box is hollow.
The cone was made using the Loft -> surface command.
I tried creating an intersection extrusion with the orange section, and it seems to have created the surface for the opening I want through the orange section,
I just don't know how to use it.

In case you want to get more hands on with my fledgling modeling :)

Thanks!

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    I might be missing the point but I'd boolean them all together into one part and then use the "shell" function to hollow it out.

BTW if you copy and paste the link directly from the browser URL we'll be able to copy your doc an demonstrate. (A sit is it's read only and I'm not inclined to search though the public documents for something called "untitled document" as there will be hundreds!)

Shout if that doesn't make sense.
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • yuggniiksyuggniiks Member Posts: 25 EDU
    edited February 2020
    Thanks owen_sparks.  I'll look up boolean function, and try that.

With respect to link sharing, I think I updated it to allow 'export'.  Hopefully that fixes it :)

Thanks for helping!
  • yuggniiksyuggniiks Member Posts: 25 EDU
    Adding the parts with the boolean command, and then using the shell command did the trick!
    Thanks for your help!
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Can't you just use shell instead?