Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Versioning - it certainly seems like I'm missing something

Lee_BabinLee_Babin Member Posts: 2 PRO
edited February 2020 in Using Onshape
I started a few parts before I truly understood part studios and the power of creating sub-assemblies with one model tree. So, I jumped right in and created parts in separate files and brought them together in a separate assembly file. I have a few questions I'm hoping to get some help with. Here goes:

1. Every modification I make (to a part in a part studio, in a separate document) requires a new version before I can see the changes in the assembly. This is very time consuming. How can I see edits on the fly without needing a new version?
2. When I do edit in-context, I can't see other parts, they're almost completely transparent. Is there a way to control appearance while editing parts?

Thanks!

Comments

• lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    You could try using move to document functionality to gather all the part studios in the same workspace as that of the assembly 

And then Replace Instance functionality to change assembly references from linked versions to the workspace 

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited February 2020
    Documents can only "see"  a version of another document. That's why multi-document structures will require constant updating and versioning.

Lana's method above will get you into a single document. Then everything will live update.

Multi-document structures are more geared toward common parts you want to re-use in many projects, with minimal updating.

Like a foot, or sensor braket... then keep your unique project stuff in a single document.
  • KatieHuffmanKatieHuffman Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 194
    edited February 2020
    @Lee_Babin if you haven't already I would recommend checking out some resources in the Learning Center. Onshape does not use files, instead we use Documents, which behave very differently than a file. Some of your questions can be answered by understanding how a Document is different and learning best practices to organize data is this way. Versions in Onshape are not the same as revision-management, they are different concepts for different applications. Note Revision management or Release Management is only available in Professional and Enterprise subscription types.

To understand more about what Documents are and how to organize them check out:
    To learn more about Versions and the differences of Revision-management check out:
    To learn how In-Context modeling works in Onshape see:
    Hope this helps!
  • james_craig481james_craig481 Member Posts: 1 PRO
    edited February 2020
    Ok, so can changes to a part or sub-assy live update without making a new version (when in separate documents that is)? 
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    partstudio must be in the same document and branch as the assembly.
  • Matt_LoMatt_Lo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 15
    You can see all the changes done in the microversion history. All changes are logged in the Version and history branch under each workspace or version. You can click on each microversion to go back to that time in history when you made that change. Hovering over the microversion will show you who made the change and what date/ time that change was made.