Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Quick "show" and "hide"

Brad_GoodmanBrad_Goodman Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
Quick way to easily "show" and "hide" parts - particularly in Part Studio.

Keyboard shortcuts would suffice. (Preferable)

Once of the biggest annoyances - is the fact that they "show part", "hide part", "hide 2 parts", "hide all parts" (etc.. etc...) menu options in the "parts" list are context sensitive. This means when you go to right click somewhere in the parts - you have to either stop and concider the context ("Is the part you just clicked selected or not?" or READ through the menu see what's present and what you want to select.

Alternativley you can right click on the part in the main window, but that is also context sensitive and even worse, in that the show/hide options either appear towards the top or the middle of the menu depending on what's selected.

Long story short - I usually/often want to "select - hide - select - hide - select - hide..."  .... then maybe "show all". Fast. Rapid. No thinking...no reading...
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Piotr_Smektała_VBPiotr_Smektała_VB Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    There is a shortcut to hide selected part: "y"
    The problem is: Once hidden - part is no longer selected. So, no shortcut will work  :/ and you have to use CTRL+Z to "unhide" that part and... part is once again not selected.
    Well, at this point you may use CTRL+Y to reverse "unhide", and repeat this CTRL+Z, CTRL+Y sequence as long as you can, but that is not so easy as using just one key.
    +1 for quicker way to hide/show parts.

@Brad_Goodman: vote for your own IR.

• Options
    tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    I agree! Blender (3D animation tool) has them. They make all the difference. I have to show and hide parts so often, that if I count the seconds navigating the menus, they quickly add up to a lot. A shortcut to hide parts without a counter shortcut to show parts is a sentence that
  • Options
    hugh_rousehugh_rouse Member Posts: 8
    There is a shortcut to hide selected part: "y"
    The problem is: Once hidden - part is no longer selected. So, no shortcut will work  :/ and you have to use CTRL+Z to "unhide" that part and... part is once again not selected.
    Well, at this point you may use CTRL+Y to reverse "unhide", and repeat this CTRL+Z, CTRL+Y sequence as long as you can, but that is not so easy as using just one key.
    +1 for quicker way to hide/show parts.

@Brad_Goodman: vote for your own IR.

Shift + y unhides. 
  • Options
    chadstoltzfuschadstoltzfus Member, Developers, csevp Posts: 131 PRO
    Depending on what you're trying to do, you might also find use from the "Make transparent" shortcut (Shift + T). If you're just trying to hide a part to get to a selection needed for a feature, this is one of my preferred ways to do it. This will make the part transparent and let you select entities as if that part wasn't present. Once you've made the selection you can hit Esc (if you're not in a feature) or click on the x in the "Make transparent" window.

Also check out this function's cousin, "Isolate" (Shift + I). 
    Applications Developer at Premier Custom Built
    chadstoltzfus@premiercb.com