Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Adding items to composite part

PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
Have been trying to add a mass to a composite part based on feature script 'set mass'.
Can anything besides native features be added to composite parts.
The imported document is an STL file of an engine. No mass included.

Comments

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @glen_dewsbury

Custom features can operate on composite parts but it is likely that if the 'set mass' custom feature does not allow them as a selection, then that feature is setting is accidentally filtering them out with the selection filter on the selection box in question.  I think that feature has been around since before composite parts, so it's likely that it was just not possible to account for this at the time of its writing. If you post the link to that custom feature here, we can confirm and '@' the owner to see if they want to make a change.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @glen_dewsbury

Looks like this doc is private.  If it is your document and you are writing the FeatureScript, you will just have to allow BodyType.COMPOSITE in your selection filter, and then when you want to pass this into some evaluation function, you should wrap the selection query like so:
    qBodyType(qFlattenedCompositeParts(definition.userSelection), BodyType.SOLID)
    assuming you just want to call the evaluation on the solid bodies contained by the composite part (remember composite parts can also contain sheets and curves).

If you would like us to look at your document please either make it public so we can see it and discuss on this forum, or contact support from the '?' menu of your part studio.
  • Options
    Haven't done any scripting myself to date. This is a copy from who I don't remember. I have made public and shared with support.
    Actually added a solid to the part studio which took on the weight from catalog along with location. Quite handy when provided doc is STL or some other form that contains nothing but surfaces. Wanting the new feature to be included with composite part. 
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/46fe6ca7bf68dfd04e9eb944/w/8bf3c5e4b8115f4ec334249d/e/77324e0deb6bcea7e091d0b6
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Looks like this feature was written by @richard_marcus :
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/18b35cfcf2c6cf5668830f90/w/15216769574e8a81c923173f/e/8542061b7f92df44aaba5399

A tip @glen_dewsbury :
    You don't have to copy a document to use the custom feature it provides.  It is actually worse to do so because you will not have the opportunity to take advantage of any of the changes made by the original feature author.  You can just add this custom feature by going to the original document and pressing the '+ custom features' button at the top.

That being said, we can wait and see if Richard shows up and makes the adjustment mentioned above, otherwise I can walk you through the changes necessary to make in your copy.
  • Options
    Thanks Jake. If I remember correctly I was planning to use as a sample to try my hand at scripting but got drawn off in an other direction as usual. That's why the copy.
    Will wait for a bit and see if Richard shows up.
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @glen_dewsbury
    @Jake_Rosenfeld
    I believe they are actually both copies of my own FeatureScript: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3ca261a95938af152088fca8
    I have just updated my own FeatureScript to allow BodyType.COMPOSITE
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Nice one @MBartlett21 sorry I missed that it was one of yours.

Does evVolume work correctly on a composite part if the part contains solids and surfaces though?  See above my suggestion to flatten the composite and only take the solids.
  • Options
    Thanks MB
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    edited February 2020
    Nice one @MBartlett21 sorry I missed that it was one of yours.

Does evVolume work correctly on a composite part if the part contains solids and surfaces though?  See above my suggestion to flatten the composite and only take the solids.
    @Jake_Rosenfeld

It works perfectly!
    According to evVolume's documentation, it doesn't error if there is anything apart from solids in the query. For example, it will still work if I give it a surface and solid part.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    Nice!