Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Control Deeper Layer Assembly Configurations

mike_hölschermike_hölscher Member Posts: 105 PRO
Hi,

I just encountered a situation where I have:

- A main assembly
- A sub assembly in the main assembly
- A size configured part in the sub assembly

I would like to have configurations in the main assembly that control which size configured part is used, while the part is in a deeper layer sub-assembly.

It seems like the only way to this now is to first make configurations in the sub-assembly for each size-configuration in the part, and then do the exact same thing again in the main assembly. That's double work. Maybe not so much work if you have only a few size configurations, but what if you have a lot?

I do not see an easy solution yet, but maybe you guys have some ideas...

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @mike_hölscher Today when you have a configured part that is referenced, then added to the sub assembly, access to the part is one layer removed from the top. This might be doable within the same document but as soon as the references are linked documents, immutable versions will not allow you to add configs to the subassembly without creating a new version.  Today this is not something we will be able to do and cascading the configurations up each level is the way it works today.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,896 PRO

It seems like the only way to this now is to first make configurations in the sub-assembly for each size-configuration in the part, and then do the exact same thing again in the main assembly. That's double work. Maybe not so much work if you have only a few size configurations, but what if you have a lot?
    It is double work, but that is how it is in other cad packages also. Onshape at least lets you copy and paste the entire config table and paste it into your sub assemblies/part studios.

You could also just use variable configs instead of config tables in all but the main assembly if you really want an on the fly approach.
  • Options
    mike_hölschermike_hölscher Member Posts: 105 PRO
    Thanks for the answers guys!