Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do you 'update' subassembly in main assembly within same document?

bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
I built partial sub-assemblies and inserted them into a main assembly.  Now after adding parts, mates, etc. in the sub.  the main is not getting all the mates.  Am I missing an update step somewhere?  Or other suggestion?  I am attaching pictures of the sub and main.
www.accuratepattern.com

Best Answers

• Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    edited April 2019 Answer ✓
    Just suppress and unsuppress your group mate in the main assembly. Should fix it. It's one of those things that should really have attention called to it.

Answers

• Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    edited April 2019 Answer ✓
    Just suppress and unsuppress your group mate in the main assembly. Should fix it. It's one of those things that should really have attention called to it.
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @Cris_Bowers
    that is it!  thanks for quick answer.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
    Cris_Bowers, just had a similar problem. I expected there should be a 'update' somewhere. 
    P.S. After doing the suppress/unsuppress I got a diamond and something about negative impact on performance. What ???
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Yea, that's a known problem with group mates and sub-assemblies... Try to avoid doing that if you can.

As for your diamond and negative impact.. Do you have a screen shot of it? I can't remember ever seeing something like that 
  • rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
    john_mcclary, you explained it very well so I copy it here for others to enjoy: "if you feel the model being slow from spinning the view around, then you can lower the tessellation by right clicking the part and setting use automatic tessellation. it is purely graphical, the model will still export with the same precision."

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    john_mcclary, you explained it very well so I copy it here for others to enjoy: "if you feel the model being slow from spinning the view around, then you can lower the tessellation by right clicking the part and setting use automatic tessellation. it is purely graphical, the model will still export with the same precision."

What's that got to do with "How do you 'update' subassembly in main assembly within same document?" ;)  :-1: ??
    O.S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd