Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Edit Dimension Formulas Directly Instead of Re-entering Entirely?

larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
edited March 2020 in Using Onshape
Is there a way to edit this dim without completely re-entering the formula? Let's say I simply want to move a parentheses? Or change a value? My intuition tells me I should be able to simply click in the formula and make changes but instead it seems I need to completely re-enter the formula. Must surely be missing something...Is it indeed necessary to completely re-enter the formula instead of clicking within it and change values?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/8b9fe840a82dc6af6cbd24f9/w/4dc3501facf7c6436a6ac6e6/e/ec76a2da3ae7fa4dd17f7bb7

Best Answer

Answers

• larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    edited March 2020
    john_mcclary said:
    The text is selected text when you edit the field. If you just start typing, it will replace everything selected with whatever you begin to type.

Click again inside the text box, or use the left or right arrow keys to un-select.
    I clicked 'again inside the text box' a hundred times with no ability to change the text hence my question. Had another dimension box misbehave in the same way. Never seen it before and will probably never see it again. Now it works as you described and as expected. No explanation. Thanks.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    That's unusual. Maybe it's a glitch from your web browser or Onshape then? 

Can't say I've seen this behavior but i'll keep a lookout. 
  • larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    Thanks John, You might be right about the glitch. I was going to video the behavior and will if I see it again, for now I guess it will remain simply a curiosity.
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    For a while, I had a similar problem in Windows Explorer on my computer - when trying to add something to a file name (select the file, then F2 for rename) windows kept selecting the whole text field, rather than letting me add some characters at the end. Struck me as weird and definitely inconvenient, but it didn't persist.

Sounds like similar behaviour - I wonder if it was caused by the computer OS somehow, rather than Onshape or browser.
    I'm actually used to seeing everything selected when I use F2. 
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    For sure - but as I was typing it would continually re-select the whole text box...so I couldn't even type the whole new filename. Weird, and possibly unrelated. (Also, not sure it's not related to the fact that the folder is synced with Google Drive File Stream)...
    Yes, I have seen that before in windows.
    It is usually caused by a program such as solidworks saving, then swithching to explorer and createing a new folder.
    For example: When solidworks finishes saving WHILE i'm typing in the new folder, windows gets intrupted for a split second and confirms the half named folder...

Probably a similar thing happening. Some other program is likely trying to gain keyboard focus for a split second.