Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is there a simpler way to model this circular wave geometry?

daniel_baileydaniel_bailey Member Posts: 7
I have modelled a wavy track designed to be a surface on which a cam rides, and is pushed up and down.
See the part in this document:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7123abbf4f9c97ed7b66a0cc/w/73e8d2b6da1ef1e5bdadd74a/e/62138605073e04d49c30108c

Currently, to create this part, I have to...
 - create a pair of curves that match the top of the waves on the inside and outside of the tube on which they sit
 - loft these curves down to circles on the base of the tube
 - split the resulting surfaces into pairs of surfaces and draw extra lines between them
 - fill the two areas surrounded by these curves that now define the top surfaces
 - then split, add lines and fill again for the bottom surface

I know the last set of [split, draw lines, fill] could be avoided as that's just a flat disc, which can be modelled in a simpler way, but this felt cleaner and more consistent.

However, I still feel like this a significant number of operations.

I need to make a few of these parts, and wanted to know if there was an easier and simpler way to model them?

(I'm tempted to write a featurescript to generate them, but would be happy to find a simpler way to do it)

Thanks.

Comments