Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Any new SW users?

billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
edited March 2020 in General
Yesterday Jon H. said that there weren't any support tickets generated from people trying to use OS at home. I know a lot of people are having issues with remote SW.

I find it interesting that they'll suffer and struggle vs. trying something new. Human nature is interesting, why struggle?

If you're a new SW user please reach out and ask this forum how to get started. This is a really good place to ask questions.

Comments

• Konstantin_ShKonstantin_Sh Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    I should notice I had one registered bug ticket #232730 at march 18.

Another one had my collegue with failed thicken feature, and history three regeneraton

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited March 2020
    @Konstantin_Sh

Thanks for the response, I sent you a message so you can share this with me. Others it's a good idea when asking a question, let some one in to see the issue (share). I'm not saying make it public. Your ticket above with OS tech support, did you share it with them?. I find they are really good. 

When we're done talking about your issue, turn sharing off for me and we're done. Make it view only or editable.  You're in control.

The geometry engine is the same as solidworks, so geometry errors are similar to those found in SW. But not always, this isn't SW.

Your second image, it won't regen because you have the rollback bar above the feature. I know this isn't your issue. I can tell by your structure that you're better than that.

I can tell from your 1st image that you're using assemblies with configurations. Congratulations, you're a damn good beginner!

How long have you been using OS?

I am curious about how you put your project together, please share with me. View only.......

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Oh yeah, sharing works at a document level. When you share, I can see everything in that document. If you have linked documents, I'll see'm but can't navigate to those documents.

You can share a folder which will give me access to all documents in that folder.

Sharing is extremely powerful....

• konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Konstantin_Sh is actually my work account so I'm definitely not a beginner in OS ;). I wanted to say that there are no CAD's with no bugs, even OS can break your document after next update but they at least repair it almost in real time pace, which your don't get with any other system. So I beleve in OS, and feel it's advantages.
    I just put 2+2 together. That's funny.

You can still share your project with me, love to see it.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited March 2020
    We are all working from home as well. Unfortunately we just started a giant 3 person project spread across 5 separate job numbers / design folders... In... SW.. :(

What a nightmare SW is useless for this... Had to go in first thing in the morning anyways because i forgot to check out my licence.
    (so did another designer, although he didn't get a new laptop, so he had to lug the entire computer monitor etc back to the office just to pull his lic.)
    each of us moved the projects we are working on, onto our laptops.
    at the end of the day we have to spend the last hour zip/uploading the days work back onto the server to be captured by the backup.
    I'm the only one with the main layout, so I need to share my screen when they need to peek at an area and measure.
    Open/save takes longer because things like fasteners and other library parts are still stored on the server.
    Spending most of the day on discord troubleshooting simple configuration issues with his brand new laptop / sw installation..

I wish I had foresight of the state shutting us down for real. I said this was perfect for Onshape even before covid was a thing.

Like you said billy, it all boiled down to one person literally afraid to learn something new

FML
    @john_mcclary that's crazy. What kind of disaster is it going to take?

One thing that isn't apparent for those using SW remotely is backing up. If this goes on for months this could spell real trouble for those folks. My advice for anyone trying to make SW work, you must checkin at the end of ever day. You can't afford risking company IP.

@karen_wagner223 yes I agree, SW is real punishment and with remoting in, no way.

edited March 2020
    billy2 said:
    @john_mcclary that's crazy. What kind of disaster is it going to take?

One thing that isn't apparent for those using SW remotely is backing up. If this goes on for months this could spell real trouble for those folks. My advice for anyone trying to make SW work, you must checkin at the end of ever day. You can't afford risking company IP.

Yep... checking in eryday..  5 more zips to go
    Kinda reminds me of the old 3 1/2" floppy days

Just need to make sure nobody drag/and drops the wrong direction..
    @john_mcclary would you like for me to talk to that one person?  :'(