Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Redlining Drawings

Mike_LloydMike_Lloyd Member Posts: 2 PRO
I'm trying pretty hard to convince my company to switch over to Onshape from Solidworks but there are a few features that seem pretty basic (to me anyway) that aren't included. I really like the release management system and believe it could seriously improve our workflow, but the chief deal breaker right now is that it doesn't seem like there's a good way to redline a drawing. Typically when a drawing is submitted for approval, the approver will mark any errors with redlines and notes and return them to the drafter for correction. The comment feature would be a basic way to accomplish what I'm trying to achieve but Onshape doesn't allow you to tag elements in drawings. Comments can be made when a release is rejected but that's a really tedious way to show what needs to be corrected. The usersnap feature is pretty handy and something like this could be adapted to achieve what we need.

As of now, I don't see an efficient way for an approver to show what needs to be corrected when a release is rejected. Currently, we print out drawings, redline them manually, and scan them into our document management software. Onshape would save us from needed separate document management software but we'd still be reduced to printing and scanning documents, something that is very tedious for the high number of drawing changes we are doing.

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    This sounds good, you should create an improvement request on the right ====>
  • mlaflecheCADmlaflecheCAD Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 179
    edited March 2020
    @Mike_Lloyd you could add comments to the drawing tab while in a release candidate.  Many users will take a screenshot and add these to the comments as well.

Here is a link to an approval step. https://smb.onshape.com/documents/a66db8f442cfcdd205d0ecf2/v/f6cb9f4742a293543cc2cf12/e/ea528def5a2f2972507fb719

Regards,
    Mike LaFleche   @mlaflecheCAD
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    edited March 2020
    edited

@mlaflecheCAD

This is interesting and I would like to look at the document.  However, the link is view only and I do not see comments.  Then when I try to sign-in it gives me an ENTERPRISE sign-in page that does not accept my login.  See below.

www.accuratepattern.com
  • mlaflecheCADmlaflecheCAD Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 179
    You should need no sign in @bruce_williams, the link should be view only, not require. sign in and bring you to the ECO You would need to a member of my Enterprise to see the comments in this case. 

Regards,
    Mike LaFleche   @mlaflecheCAD
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @bruce_williams the link should have been cad if they have shared it... but in this case you will be routed to ENT sign in... and you wont get in.  
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.