Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Set low performance mode by default

RyanAveryRyanAvery Member Posts: 93 EDU
I like the performance when my onshape detects my computer being slow and sets it to reduced performance mode. How do I set this to be the default mode all the time? 

Comments

• RyanAveryRyanAvery Member Posts: 93 EDU
    I very much would like a solution to this >.< I don't have an expensive computer and until it switches to reduced performance mode it is very, very slow for me on this machine. 
  • timandrewstimandrews Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 18
    edited March 2020
    @RyanAvery, please check out the Hardware and Graphics Performance Recommendations page in the help documentation. You can also find helpful performance recommendations in the Tips and Tricks to Turbocharge Onshape video.
    @RyanAvery, please check out the Hardware and Graphics Performance Recommendations page in the help documentation. You can also find helpful performance recommendations in the Tips and Tricks to Turbocharge Onshape video.

Okay thanks. However I'm assuming this answer means that it is not possible to set the low performance mode to on by default?
  • Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 197
    edited April 2020
    @RyanAvery

We do not have a low performance mode per se. However, you can manually set the tessellation quality to "Coarse" to use the least amount of graphical data, more information on how to do is in the documentation, here : https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/appearance_editor.htm#tessellation

You will need to reset it to 'Auto' if you want the default behavior.
    Well I'm pretty sure you do actually have a low performance mode--here's why. I can get on my crappy laptop (this one) and use onshape with certain projects and move the view around really fast. When I do this, I get a popup message saying that "reduced performance" mode has been activated due to a detected crappy computer (not verbatim). When I close this popup message things are noticeably  faster and I can't detect any visible differences--this is why I was hoping I could just set this to happen automatically in my profile settings.

Hi Ryan,

We do disable some of the graphics effects when we detect lower frame rates. However we do not have a way to manually disable this, as of now.

Paul
    Hi Ryan,

We do disable some of the graphics effects when we detect lower frame rates. However we do not have a way to manually disable this, as of now.

Paul

Okay thanks a lot for your guys's responses. Would you consider adding this to a future release? I think a lot of people would be more than willing to sacrifice appearance for performance. Again, thanks for the help guys!
    edited April 2020
     We try our best, to ensure users do not have to worry about managing these settings, but there are exceptions. This is worth considering for a future release.
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Some context about things like this: one of our driving ideologies here is "make decisions, not settings".  We think one of the problems with many systems is that they get completely bloated with settings, relying on the user to make every single decisions.  We would rather not introduce this bloat by being a bit smarter, and making our system respond adaptively to the user's system at the given point in time.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    edited April 2020
    I feel like this is one of the cases where it makes sense to give the user the option to decide. In some cases, the fastest framerate is most desirable (e.g. designing and adding mechanical components), while in others, having it look better is preferable (e.g. refining the aesthetics/look and feel of a design). This isn't really something the system can efficiently and correctly predict, as it's more what the user is thinking about while working.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com
    User settings are the more the better, in my opinion. This is things like color blind mode, speed vs performance settings, hotkeys, etc. This is things the user sets once based on their unique personality differences, and it stays that way their entire life.