Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

configurations for hinge

derek_westwoodderek_westwood Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/21996e45feed49237c2bcc1a/w/d65e68b931fe697f2e15f5b9/e/7185304c7d7106e0963d623b
I have imported this hinge into onshape and want to create two configurations, open and closed, I have inserted a revolute mate which allows me to get two views of the hinge - open and closed - but how do I make configurations?
Thanks in advance, Derek

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,392
    The angle of the hinge can only be configured if the mate is a Fasten mate. A revolute is free to move so configuring the angular position of one of the mate connectors will not make it move. An alternative is Named Positions which can be found in the toolbar at the top. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    edited March 2020
    @derek_westwood

You can configure more than just fasten mates.
    You will need to configure the limits for a revolute.
    Which means typing your value twice, Once for the minimum and Once for the maximum value.

I only do this if I want a "free" configuration (one that I can still move freely like a revolute should)

click the link below to see more
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3a2d8558d409e9e77d1e0c8d/w/e802f3db1ec4eded17750ab2/e/519b8366ea5020ee7b34b628