Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Automate normal to sketch Plane / hide other planes upon sketch plane selection.

mcconnell113mcconnell113 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
Nothing super over burdening but it is a nice feature of solidworks that you see it automatically rotate to a normal view of the sketch plane upon selection of a plane to sketch upon. It also hides the other planes from view at this time as im sure most of you are already aware of being solidworks devs and users alike. Can we get this easily?
John McConnell - Let's change things.
Saplingstore.com

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @McConnell113 You can just hit N on your keyboard.  We don't yet have options for users to set for this but it will be something down the road.  For now, keyboard shortcuts are there.  You can see them all by clicking on ? menu and selecting Keyboard shortcuts or just hitting the ? on your keyboard to launch the map.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • mcconnell113mcconnell113 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    I guess I didn't realize normal to worked for a sketch plane. Used to solidworks workflow so forgot about the shortcuts which in my opinion is the best way. Thanks lou
    John McConnell - Let's change things.
    Saplingstore.com
  • michael_klinemichael_kline Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    years later, and this still hasnt been resolved. i come from a solidworks background, and this was a really nice feature. would really like to see this implemented.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Click a plane or face
    Shift+s (new sketch) 
    P (hide/show planes)
    N (normal to) 

Will get you what you want.

This isn't an improvement request thread by the way. 
    You can vote for it here

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/8320/option-to-automatically-view-normal-to-new-sketch
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    I don't like automatic flip normal. I'd rather just hit the "N" key. 

I guess everyone is different.

I prefer the OS way.

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    billy2 said:

I prefer the OS way.

I would like to hit N a second time and get it to flip 180 though. Anyone with me? Make an IR. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    billy2 said:

I prefer the OS way.

Agreed, auto normal to is trash imo. I'd prefer if people would break this bad habbit to be honest. Normal to has a place, but it is more harm than good more often then not. Due to unwanted sketch relationships being created just becase your sketch overlaps an object below.. Yuck! 

But that's why I pray it only becomes an option, not the default.. 
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    My other CAD program (Alibre) auto rotates the model and that drives me nuts.  Onshape's way is much better for my usage,