Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Mirror Feature for sheet metal

RT_AXIOMRT_AXIOM Member Posts: 18 PRO
Being able to mirror features when creating sheet metal geometry.  I don't understand the concept of the "finish sheet metal model"?  Why cant the sheet metal model just always be open for changes.  
In the picture below is an example of the mirror function not working until using the "finish sheet metal model".  I have a square extruded cut that I wanted to mirror across the sheet metal part but it wouldn't allow me to do it until the part was "finished".  So i finished the sheet metal part then mirrored the feature which worked, but it doesn't show up in the flat pattern.  
It is super important to have all holes and cut features that are on the sheet metal part to show up on the flat pattern.  Eventually I will want to get this part cut with a CNC laser cutter or plasma cutter and if the feature aren't all visible on the flat pattern then they won't get cut.

ALso how do I make a flattened view for this part if I want to add it to a drawing to show bend line dimensions? 

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Ben_MisegadesBen_Misegades Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Hi Ryan,

If you have not done so already, I'd recommend watching the recording of the recent sheet metal webinar. There is a section in there that explains where the finish sheet metal feature can be useful, if I remember correctly.

It is my understanding that you don't have to use the "finish sheet metal model" feature at all, and you're free to add as many sheet metal "bodies" to an individual part studio as you wish. There are some features that you cannot use on a "sheet metal" part in OS as of right now, though I'm sure they'll be added soon enough. If you hit "finish sheet metal model" all of a sudden you have the ability to add features that you couldn't previously, but OS will not recognize the body as a sheet metal part past where in the feature tree you've inserted the "finish sm model" function.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/43anvtzxjq

• Options
    BMcGaffeyBMcGaffey Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    Is the mirror feature still unavailable on active sheet metal parts? 
  • Options
    Yes, it is still unavailable in active sheet metal models.  I have adapted to the workaround of mirroring or patterning the sketch before extruding or whatever feature type I am working with.  It's actually a little easier and quicker in some cases because you don't have to create a plane for the mirror.  
  • Options
    I guess it does work.  I've never used the face mirror option before.  It's not a very efficient workflow in my opinion.  A lot of clicks to select all the faces especially if you had something more complex to mirror, ie. hole features for a bolt pattern.  It would be a lot quicker to be able to select the entire feature and mirror with one click as opposed to clicking each individual face.  Check it out...

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/aa1f01518934123060ea4437/w/65d4835559078d43d725ef1f/e/b5b5f4af604d766fcbc2a3db
  • Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 693
    You can use group selection (drag rectangle top-Left to bottom-Right) - works well for me most of the time.
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @RyanAvery

Part mirror also works and provides an easier selection than face mirror, if you intend to mirror an entire sheet metal part.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    LavonLavon Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Is feature mirror for sheet metal coming anytime soon?
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @Lavon

I do not see an improvement request for it.  Sheet metal does not support any "true" feature patterns; i.e. You cannot do a linear, circular, or curve feature pattern of sheet metal unless the "Apply per instance" option is turned off. We do no expose apply per instance for mirror, because mirror is always a pattern with only one instance, and it is safe from a performance standpoint to always just run with apply per instance turned on.

Please log an improvement request in the Improvement Requests category of this forum.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team