Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Renaming copied parts?

tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
When I copy a part in a transform, the new and old parts get the same name.
I'd like to avoid this because a) it makes it futile to discuss parts by name ("which Part 152"?) and b) it makes it difficult to select just the right part for assembly when the only difference from the others is its location (something you can't glean from the Assembly Insert menu).
I can rename parts manually, but often I have more than just a few duplicates, and it would be nice to just have copied parts automatically get new names when I make them. Is there a way to configure Onshape for this?
Thanks!

Comments

• bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    What is your use case for copying a part via transform? If you are doing this just for location placement, that should be handled in the assembly. The part studio is really for creating the part instances. If you are having trouble with getting the right placement in an assembly, that sounds like the real issue that we can help you resolve.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I do it when I need similar parts with different dimensions or features---hydraulic cylinders of the same type but with different rod lengths, say. It's easier to copy and change 10% of the original than to repeat 100% of what I've already done :)
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,354
    I do it when I need similar parts with different dimensions or features---hydraulic cylinders of the same type but with different rod lengths, say. It's easier to copy and change 10% of the original than to repeat 100% of what I've already done :)
    Even easier if you use configurations!
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    I'll have to learn about configurations then :)
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,894 PRO
    it makes it difficult to select just the right part for assembly when the only difference from the others is its location (something you can't glean from the Assembly Insert menu). 
    Can you explain this to me? It sounds like you are doing this the hard way.

The only time you should create a new part is if it has a different shape or thread. 

You should be inserting the same part and moving it in the assembly if the only difference is position.