Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

OnShape Newbie - needs help to create a new sketch on an imported assembly

sameer_sheikhsameer_sheikh Member Posts: 8
I am very new to OnShape, having only started using it in the middle of January, and even then, in limited fashion.  I know nothing about design nor do I know anything about anything CAD related, so this was my very first foray into both.  As for what I have managed to learn, well, I don't know how to do much other than create very rudimentary sketches and a even less with respect to extrusion.  I know nothing about creating assemblies, let alone anything about best practices.

I have an assignment where I need to create a wall-climbing robot, which in itself is a monumental task, without being stifled with my extremely limited knowledge of designing parts in OnShape.

What I've done, so far, is imported an assembly of a the Tamiya Tracked Chassis.  Whoever, did work on this did a brilliant job.  Now, what I was hoping and trying to do was create some drawings of additional components that I needed 3D printed.  And this is where I have hit a 100-foot wall.  While, I was able to import the file(s) and have the assembly sitting in my online personal folder, but nothing is doing what I was hoping it would do.

I cannot draw anything.  I can't copy and paste.  I can't move anything between assemblies (is that even a thing that can be done?).  I'm, quite frankly completely stuck, and given my limited knowledge, I am not sure if I even know how to ask questions to get useful feedback or give any pertinent information to help me in my predicament.

I am completely stuck, so I would really appreciate any and all help, keeping in mind that I will probably not know what you're talking about if it requires any knowledge beyond what I have.

Comments

• Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    I strongly recommend starting out with completing the tutorials at learn.onshape.com.
    - The Introduction to CAD pathway is a good start for learning the basic ideas
    - The Onshape Fundamentals: CAD pathway will get you on your feet for part design, assemblies, and drawings
    Beyond that, you can check out the full catalog to find more information and tutorials for what you want to do.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    sameer_sheikhsameer_sheikh Member Posts: 8
    Thank you for the post.  While, I'll looking into the introduction pathway you mentioned, because I am on a time constraint, I just do not have the time to go through all of the material.  I will need something that's very directed towards what I am trying to do so that I can make a submission by my deadline.

This thread was double posted.  Can someone help me in deleting it here?