Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to import .x_t assembly, and modify a part

Mark_SandersMark_Sanders Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
I'm new to this party :smile: and it's really cool.
Whilst starting modelling from scratch seems really straightforward, I'm struggling with importing stuff done in other cad (eg solidworks) .... I can get it into on space but that's about it.

Can someone give me the best work flow to
1. Import an assembly - .x_t, ideally or solidworks ...( I assume Both these are dumb solids, no feature trees )
2. Then isolate one part to modify.
3. Modify that part ... Stretch, resize / move holes & features.
4. Save back into assembly as an improved product.

Seeing the rest of the interface this is probably really obvious, but my prior 'conditioning' on other systems is making me blind to the obvious ;-)

Mark

Comments

• Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    edited October 2014
    1. Import the native solidworks assembly or the x_t or step or....
    2. right click the tab of the import file, choose 'translate' and choose onshape
    3. go to the onshape translation tabs (named the same as the imported tab)
    4. modify away...
    5. right click the tab at the bottom of the part studio or assy you modified and choose 'translate' again and then choose the export format you want.
    6. bobs your uncle...
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited October 2014
    Mark, I think Ben has spelled it out nicely for you.

Me, I think you're walking to the deep end of the pool and you'll have more fun in the shallow end.

Build some simple parts, construct some movable assemblies and try to find someone to collaborate on a design. I think this is a better use of your time.

Cheers,

• jon_hirschtickjon_hirschtick Onshape Employees Posts: 91
    We tried to design and extremely powerful import/translate architecture. Powerful in that it could manage even non-native data. You can keep the original x_t or any other external format.

I think we can, should and will make improvements to smooth out the workflow for importing and translating.

Thanks Ben for your how-to-writeup.

And per Bills' post: Mark if you need someone to collaborate with just let me know -- I'd be happy to.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited October 2014
    Mark I found saving the SW as a multi-body part and bringing that in worked the best for me.

forum post:
    link importing SW

link to actual import results:
    link importing SW

forum post on flipping geometry:
    link flipping importing SW

Mark I was able to import my SW geometry, flip it to a proper orientation, and re-parameterize it inside OS. It went pretty smoothly and now I have a OS database created from a SW design. It definitely can be done. If you figure out a simpler method, please let us know.
  • JohnFelixJohnFelix Member Posts: 2
    Mark77a said:

I'm new to this party :smile: and it's really cool.
    Whilst starting modelling from scratch seems really straightforward, I'm struggling with importing stuff done in other cad (eg solidworks) .... I can get it into on space but that's about it.

Can someone give me the best work flow to
    1. Import an assembly - .x_t, ideally or solidworks ...( I assume Both these are dumb solids, no feature trees )
    2. Then isolate one part to modify.
    3. Modify that part ... Stretch, resize / move holes & features.
    4. Save back into assembly as an improved product.

Seeing the rest of the interface this is probably really obvious, but my prior 'conditioning' on other systems is making me blind to the obvious ;-)

Mark

Mark I hope you take Jon up on his offer to collaborate on a design. This hasn't been done on this forum and I think it should be investigated. Who would better to show us how this is supposed to work? You & Jon what a dynamite team!

I've always wanted collaboration and now it's here. I haven't played with it or even looked into it, I must be crazy. I think this will be a huge differentiator between current CAD systems.

Please take him up on his offer and share with us the process. I'm extremely interested.

Mark I had the goals you have except I wanted my imported geometry to be parametric and rebuilt it inside OS.

I found the rest of my import geometry legacy:
    importing SW
    flipping geometry
    re-parameterize geometry
    assembling geometry
  • Mark_SandersMark_Sanders Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    WoW this community is awesome !!
    huge thanks to you all .. @ben @bill @Johnfelix @‌JonHirschtick

yes .. I am paddling in the shallow end, basking in videos, as well as having a splash at the deep end :-)
  • Mark_SandersMark_Sanders Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    I got the assembly in as OS parts.
    Isolated 1 part and can now hack it about :-)
    So far basic cuts / add on etc.

Me (or OS) not yet up to warps, twists and base geometry tweaks -- but hey it is a fully developed diecasting ready for tooling :-)

still playing in shallow and deep ends.
  • Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    edited October 2014
    Awesome! hop in and start thrashing about. That is what I am doing and each day it becomes more and more the tool of choice for me. There are a couple things I want to have added to the system and then honestly I am not sure I will be using anything else.

Make sure to put in bug / enhancement requests in the 'feedback' menu item as you go. using this menu item on the '?' button:

Ahem! Feel free to... you know... maybe... add requests for 'sketch element cut and paste', and 'box selection in sketches and modeling environments'. I would say drawings and DXF but I am 99% sure they are on their way. ;)

• caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    @Ben
    "That is what I am doing and each day it becomes more and more the tool of choice for me."
    Ben, I'm noticing the same thing. It's in those small things...
    E.g. Boolean > Subtract > Keep Tools: very simple, very natural, very fast...brilliant!
    Or...
    Extrude > New or Add or Remove or Intersect

Despite the current lack of some productivity-oriented tools (did I mention section views? :) , thin features, advanced patterning...), these small things are real productivity boosters, compared to a SolidWorks workflow.

Dries