Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Enter key to select material

BMcGaffeyBMcGaffey Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
This is a relatively simple change that I think will improve user experience when assigning materials. 

I would love to be able to select materials using only the keyboard. For example, I would right click the part, assign material, then begin typing "alum" and aluminum comes up (which it does now). If I then hit enter, it selects aluminum, however if I hit enter again it brings the material list back down instead of just assigning the material. It's a small wish, just a little annoyance at the moment. 

Let me know what you think. 

Cheers, 
Tagged:

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @MechEngMan Hit Tab then ENTER.

Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • BMcGaffeyBMcGaffey Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    You have saved my life @lougallo haha. 

Thanks for the tip! 
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I too find hitting enter just expands the drop down lists to be annoying. 

One of those things that's 'only in Onshape' 
    Typically if you hit enter in a dialog you are confirming a selection in the list. But if the list is not expanded the behavior should be to confirm the dialog window. 
  • alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    edited May 2020
    @MechEngMan @lougallo you can also hit ctrl-enter without having to press tab first.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com