Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Helix Gear Gen

warren_pegleywarren_pegley Member Posts: 14
Hello Onshape Forum
Gears! Enough said - No not really! The Onshape spur gear gen is awesome thanks, However I'm trying to create a document that punches out a variety of gears via Functions & Features.  
I have rolled back to the attached document to where it works mostly, I had the geometry fail a few times whilst changing the parameters. I then added guides, tryed sweep also. But its like the sketches forget the 'used' projected lines (ok political correct "Curves")
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/34b0238607bfd5b895c48ab3/w/556f91e14b45a86b0ffa3ec9/e/0048f3cc6b708ab71c398ca2
Tagged:

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Looks like you are using v4 of Spur Gear -  please update to v7 to add helix capability. That might do everything you need it to.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • warren_pegleywarren_pegley Member Posts: 14
    Thx Neil, I just 5mins looking for the like button under comment, wish me luck with v7
    Just tried v7, & still appears to be doing the same thing - If you drive a sketch from the gear geometry, it works great the first time but if you change the gear geometry the sketch fails. Would be great if it didn't fail to drive a variation of gear geometry eg bevel gears,ect.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Yeah that’s to be expected. Can you use the face of the gear rather than a sketch? I referred to v7 because it has helix built in. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    Got it sorted, thx. Gears.doc Punches out Bevel Gears Now also( and perhaps finally a useful tool via W.P. ),  Question thou - the functionality of the Bevel Gear Gen was accomplished via Onshape being able to retain and extrude geometry from the generated spur gear feature consistently & directly, bypassing the need to generate a sketch prior. I really don't understand that.

• emma_ritsonemma_ritson Member Posts: 1
    where do i find v7? my version tree only shows V4

• dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭