Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do i create a lip and groove joint?

anna_forbes_jones468anna_forbes_jones468 Member Posts: 10 EDU
Hi,

I am trying to get the two halves to join together using a lip and groove joint. I know how to do it on Solidworks can anyone help me out with doing it in OnShape?

Many thanks!

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7f4fee13278152aa55393279/w/432d8d8654abad8d0c3363a5/e/cfc65dfa247d061d4633cee2

Best Answer

Answers

• anna_forbes_jones468anna_forbes_jones468 Member Posts: 10 EDU
    Thankyou so much what a massive help!!
  • anna_forbes_jones468anna_forbes_jones468 Member Posts: 10 EDU
    So sorry I can't find the thin feature?
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    edited May 2020
    @anna_forbes_jones468

I think @steve_shubin used the Feature script 'Thin-Feature Extrude'   See this help for adding Feature script to your tool bar.

Alternatively, you could use the standard Extrude by following Steve's instructions except add an offset curve to the sketch to create the enclosed region of the lip.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alternatively, if you want to skip creating a sketch, you can extrude the entire surface and then execute a Move Face on either the internal or external face to create a thinner lip.
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    @anna_forbes_jones468

Anna, @bruce_williams has given excellent direction on location & install procedure of THIN FEATURE, and a nice tip on using offset on the sketch 

Thanks Bruce !

And myself, I’m always interested to see alternative ways that people do things. Thanks @mahir