Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Move Face Not Possible Until After Finishing Sheet Metal Part

eric_laueric_lau Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited May 2017 in Using Onshape
Hi Guys, 
I am having a hard time figuring out why the move face feature will not work on my sheet metal part. If I "finish" the sheet metal part the move face feature and/or face extrude work as expected however since the sheet metal part is already finished the extended tab doesn't show up on the flat pattern. Any tips?

Comments

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi Eric,

This looks like a bug, we'd be happy to check it out! Please report a feedback ticket (In your document press ? > Feedback) and check the "Share this document with Onshape support" button.

Thanks!
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • eric_laueric_lau Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Thanks Jake. Feedback ticket submitted (ticket: #69478) .
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    @eric_lau
    In mean time, you can work around this issue by setting bend relief at the closest bend end to tear and then cutting it out yourself. This would allow that face to move.
  • bergdesignbergdesign OS Professional Posts: 11 PRO
    I've run into this issue several times, and again just recently. On my most recent part, I created a rough placeholder part using sketches and extrusions in my starting design, then I attempted to use two faces of that placeholder part with thickening and one selected edge to create a bent sheet metal part. The sheet metal model feature moved a couple of faces neighboring the default bend reliefs and the move face feature would not subsequently move the faces back to their original positions. I had to modify my placeholder part to include my own bend reliefs so that the sheet metal model feature wouldn't move the faces when the sheet metal part was created. The faces that were moved absolutely did not need to be moved by the sheet metal model feature, as the only argument that could be made in the real world is that the bend reliefs were not large enough to allow a press brake die of the necessary length to make the bend without also mildly deforming neighboring metal. But I should be allowed to adjust the bend relief afterwards to add additional relief knowing how the part will bend, or Onshape should have modified the bend reliefs to maintain my face positions. Onshape should not have moved my face positions to match its default bend reliefs. I am assuming there is some constraint in the bend reliefs that is pulling neighboring faces to follow the size of the relief, and this doesn't seem right. And it's odd that a move face feature cannot subsequently override this and put a face back into a position that I want it. Happy to share a sample model illustrating this.
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    @bergdesign
    Happy to share a sample model illustrating this. 
    Yes, please.